Craftsman mower won't start. Cleaned carb. What else to check?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Craftsman mower won't start. Cleaned carb. What else to check?
Got the new carb in the mail today. Installed. Primed. Started with 2-3 pulls. Then I stopped it and needed a dozen pulls to start again. It ran, then died. Now I can't start it at all. Every 2-3 times I pull, I hear pops like mini explosions. What's my next step?
Try the gas cap trick.

slomo

ilyaz

Threads
Well, tried it.

Also cleaned the mower a bit -- it was pretty clean to begin with, no oil leaks combined with grass/dirt.

Things seem to be getting worse: now after about a dozen pulls all I get is a loud pop and that's it. Will be looking at the flywheel.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
How old is the fuel? Are you running E10?

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove and clean the fuel tank out. Make sure you have good fuel flow to the carb inlet pipe.

Get an inline spark tester. 5 bucks at Harbor Freight.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, tried it.

Also cleaned the mower a bit -- it was pretty clean to begin with, no oil leaks combined with grass/dirt.

Things seem to be getting worse: now after about a dozen pulls all I get is a loud pop and that's it. Will be looking at the flywheel.
You either need glasses or something. Those pictures you posted up showed a filthy mower. Look at the air filter box. It has a ton of sand/dirt inside past the air filter. Go to a mower shop and look at a NEW mower. Those are clean. Like Bertsmobile1 said there's clean then there's CLEAN. Think hospital clean.

Did you remove the top engine cover? Did you inspect the cylinder block cooling fins?

Go to Harbor Freight and get an inline spark tester. Air, fuel, spark and compression.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
$4.99 at HF.

63590_I.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
LIKE MOST OF WHAT hf sells it is designed to be as cheap as possible, not to be easy to use.
A white globe iin a spark tester is no easier to see than a spark in a B & S 3 point tester.
The Oregon one has a red globe in it so it can be used in places other then the bottom of a coal mine.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be a stuck intake valve.
How is the compression when you pull the rope?