Craftsman mower needs some TLC please help

gmambrose

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I am not at all good with doing any types of repair or adjustments on a lawn mower engine or the like.. I am a computer guy :) But, I want to learn how to fix and tune, or at-least start with learning enough to get my craftsman mower running properly. The mower seems to have an Eager-1 engine. In order to get the mower to start, you must spray carb and choke cleaner into the carburetor which has had a part removed by a friend of my mothers that did some work on the mower last year. He said that was the only way to repair the mower and make it run. Then even once you get it started, it will stall right away if you do not pump the prime button continuously for at least 30 seconds while it is running. I am wondering if someone can tell me what I should replace/clean in order to get things running properly. I have tried to locate the air filter on this engine and cannot seem to find it, I read that it should be on the right of the engine and it should unscrew with a Phillips screw driver. Also, if someone can point me in the direction of a manual with illustrations of the common things that can be cleaned and fixed on this particular engine or at-least this type of engine. I am very new to this and am eager to learn with a bit of guidance.

Thanks guys and ladies :)

Gary

Attachments

• 05232011110.jpg
    05232011110.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 05232011113.jpg
    05232011113.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 05232011122.jpg
    05232011122.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 17

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the carb needs taken apart and cleaned. the air filter mounts where you see the red tube sticking out of the carb. it is a about 2 inch diameter about 3 inch long round filter that mounts under a twist mount plastic cover that is missing from the carb.

gmambrose

Forum Newbie
Threads
the carb needs taken apart and cleaned. the air filter mounts where you see the red tube sticking out of the carb. it is a about 2 inch diameter about 3 inch long round filter that mounts under a twist mount plastic cover that is missing from the carb.

So, it appears that the part that was removed was the air filter and the plastic cover. Should I just order a whole new carb for the mower? or can I order the replacement plastic cover and air filter? From where can I order these? Thanks for the reply.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not knowing what you are doing you will just order a lot of new parts and still have a mow that starts hard. New parts are not cheap. The air cleaner is missing and the motor will start useing oil in a short time if left this way. Take your mower to someone that knows how to repair mowers and have it fixed right.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am the last person to suggest just throwing parts at it till the problem is fixed...

But at this time you KNOW you need an air cleaner and filter... get the parts you KNOW you need,
then if it proves to be unlikely that you will be able to make the necessary repairs, take it to someone else...

There is no time like the present to learn now to repair and maintain your mower... You know your limitations work within them... :smile:KennyV

gmambrose

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I want to thank you all for your help. I took apart the carburetor and gave it a good cleaning inside and out, and the mower starts up beautifully now without the need for spraying carb cleaner into the carb. Also, It is running much smoother now. And all it took was a good cleaning on the carburetor. Thanks so much for the help :)

BTW, I found a good video on youtube with instructions for cleaning the carb. It was very straightforward and simple to clean the whole thing out, and now I have a very nice running mower with no out of pocket expense :) All I have left to do is purchase an air filter and plastic cover and I will likely also purchase a new primer button and gasket that goes between the carb basin and carb.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
BTW, I found a good video on youtube with instructions for cleaning the carb. It was very straightforward and simple to clean the whole thing out,.

Copy the URL address and post back the Youtube video... there are a lot of folks here that can appreciate a good video covering that... glad your up & running... keep with it.. :smile:KennyV

gmambrose

Forum Newbie
Threads
In-case anyone wants to check out the video to clean a carburetor on their mower, the you-tube video can be found at YouTube - ‪Cleaning Carburetor on Craftsman Lawn Mower‬‏ but, there are many that I found that were helpful. Just do a Google search for clean carburetor craftsman mower or a similar search and you will find a ton of helpful stuff to watch :)