Craftsman LT2500, Won't start

hls811

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi! I've got a 2013 (or 14?) Craftsman LT2500 , Model No. 247.289150 that doesn't want to start. I'm not sure if its the cold, I don't usually start it up this early and we've just gotten through a pretty cold couple of weeks. I turn the key, its not turning over - it starts to spin - sometimes I get a half spin, but mostly nothing, I do hear a click though and the headlights do come on. I put in fresh fuel and I do see it making its way to the fuel filter. I took off the plastic engine cover - a few years ago mice decided to start building a nest under there - I was just checking to make sure that didn't happen again - it was all cleared out luckily. I'm not sure what it could be or where to start.. I made an appointment with Sears, just so I don't fall too far in the wait list, but if its something easy I would prefer to do it myself.

Thanks!

Richard320

Threads
I'd begin with jumper cables. It sounds like nothing more sinister than a bad battery.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things to try, then post back results. First, remove the spark plugs, place a rag in front of each spark plug hole and try to turn the engine over. If it turns over, but fuel sprays out the holes, you have a hydro lock and this indicates that the float needle didn’t seat properly, loading the cylinder with fuel. You can spin the engine over until all fuel is ejected and install the plugs. Check the oil level and if it is over filled and smells like gas, you will have to change the oil. After doing all this, try starting the engine. If the engine starts you will have to monitor the engine to make sure the problem doesn’t reoccur. Second, if the engine spins over, but no fuel ejects, charge the battery and try again. You many have a low battery, both problems occur after sitting over the winter. Let us know what you find.

hls811

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you both! It was the battery! Just got it going with the help of a portable jump-starter! Whew! Thank you!!

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the alternator output.
Running with a bad battery car burn out the stator in no time flat

Born2Mow

Threads
Check the water level in the battery. Heavy charging and low maintenance will cook off the water inside the battery. Low water will keep the battery from then accepting a charge.

You could also use a battery disconnect device. LIKE THIS.