Craftsman LT2000 Not Starting

Ericbss7

Threads
Pull the cover off and slowly rotate the engine with a pencil down the plug hole.
The inlet should open at TDC , close near BDC then reopen just a touch just before tdc ( auto decompression ).
If not you might need a new cam.

So I went to adjust the valves again, as I don't think I had them in the right position the first time I did it. Right as I was about to adjust them, I noticed that the top (intake) valve didn't have the same little metal cylinder (not sure what the proper name is) that the bottom (exhaust) valve had that the rocker arm comes into contact with (I circled them in this picture http://postimg.org/image/onepi5q0b/). I'm assuming that both valves should have this piece, not just the exhaust valve? The intake valve was very loose when I first looked at it, and it wouldn't shock me in the least if that part fell off somewhere along be way. Can you tell me what that piece is called, or better yet, point it out in this diagram? Having a hard time identifying it. Thanks again for all the help.

http://www.partselect.com/Models/31...=5&mfg=Briggs and Stratton&Type=Engine&Mark=5

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They are called lash caps .
Good news is they are not expensive
bad news is you have to find where the old one went
as it can do big damage inside the engine.

Welcome to the small engine tango cha cha cha

Ericbss7

Threads
They are called lash caps .
Good news is they are not expensive
bad news is you have to find where the old one went
as it can do big damage inside the engine.

Welcome to the small engine tango cha cha cha

Well...adjusted the valves again, and it started and ran well. The I put the blower housing back on, and heard a wicked shredding sound. Turned it off. Found shards of plastic everywhere. The flywheel fan got shredded somehow...can't make it up. I'm thinking the flywheel screen must have been bent or something. Anyways, ordered a new fan and screen. The saga continues....just when I think I'm done. Anyways...thanks for all the help up to this point. Seems like the valves were the main issue.