Craftsman LT2000 model 247.28852

mauigts

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just picked this mower up, from Craigslist. Craftsman LT2000 Gold + Briggs Seiries with a (Vari-Drive (corrected) tranny, and pedal drive. The owner said the tranny was bad. It looked to me like the drive belt was completely stretched, and therefor wouldn't move (very well). I did (low rpm's) drive it off the trailer, and it moves for a few feet, then the belt chatters, and there is a noise underneath, like it is flopping around, and or something is out of whack and it stops moving. If you restart it, and at low rpm, it sometime will move again a few feet, then the noise and it stops moving. This model is the gold series, a 21 H.P. B&S. Really, the mower is in near excellent condition with very little wear, both physically, and for looks. . The belt was stretched, and worn, and the pedal goes all the way down, and the mower ( for the bit it did move was slow). I replaced the (lower) drive belt, as the owner told me he replaced the upper (tranny) belt, and it looks to be good.
Now that I have it back together, it seems to do the same thing. It moves a few feet, then starts chattering underneath like the alignment is off, or slippage or a pulley is hung up. It is, installed correctly according to the diagrams. So, when I take the wheels off, and jack it up, I can put it in gear and it drives without the noise or chatter, ( although looking at it from underneath) it sure appears to have a lot of slack in the drive belt, as it seems to jump around, like it has too much play, BUT, it is the correct belt, (NEW), and the tranny drives the rear wheels when engaged. Seems strange, that it won't make the noise when jacked in the air, and or not allow me to see what the problem is. It does have a lot more pedal now that there is a new belt on it. Anyone have this kind of problem before? and or any ideas. I haven't checked the tranny for fluids, but it is (the whole mower) real clean, and no signs of any oil anywhere?\
Aloha and thanks for any help.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now you have me confused.
Hydostatic transmissions usually have 1 drive belt
Vari drive transmissions usually have 2 drive belts.
Downloaded the manual for what you say you have
searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/user-manuals/247288852-Craftsman-Parts-Riding-Mower-Tractor-Parts-manual
And it shows a standard vari drive
So which one you got cuz you is there & I is here and I cant see dat far with dees ere old eyes.

mauigts

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think your right Bert, This has two belts, So, you would be correct, It is a Vari drive. First that I have owned, so guess it confused me. The Secondary belt, ( top one) looks good, and owner says it was recently replaced. Looks to be tight enough, but haven't verified if is the correct belt. Doesn't seem excessively loose. I would be interested in someone pointing me to a thread on vari-speed transmissions, since I am new to this forum and am trying to learn up.
Also, near as I can tell, the noise I hear comes from (approximately) the middle of the mower, towards the front, and I don't think it is coming from the rear or tranny area.
Thanks, Jack

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jack,
The MTD service manual can be found on the site below you are looking for must have book 3
mymowerparts.com/pdf/MTD-Service-Repair-Manuals/

In the mean time check the plunger that selects foreward neutral & reverse.
you get a l lot of wear there and the plunger does not fully select any gear.