Export thread

Craftsman lt1000

D

dlcoriel

I've got a problem with my mower deck the model number is 917.272751 I have replaced the belt on the deck and it is on exactly like the diagram with no twists in the belt. The tension pulley bounces like crazy when I try to start the mower and I haven't even been able to get the engine to turn over. The belt is very tight and it is difficult to raise the engage bar (just testing it) Any ideas why it wont start now. I had to take the old belt completely off to get it to start to drive it around to work on it, if the helps any. Thanks

R

Rivets

What was the part number for your new belt? It should have been either 144959 or 532144959. If you did not purchase an OEM belt it may be as much as 3/4" short.

cpurvis

cpurvis

If the mower drive belt is moving when you try to start the engine, there is something wrong with the mower clutch.

D

dlcoriel

Thanks, but it ran ok before the belt broke with the blades always moving a little without it being engaged. I did get the right part lol, I checked the purchase order. I guess I'll have to take it to a shop. I just hate to spend money on something I may be able to do myself. Thanks again guys Also forgot to tell you that the idler pulley vibrates like crazy.

cpurvis

cpurvis

It sound like this belt is tight enough to finally have bound the clutch up solid. You're going to play hell getting it started like this. Even if you can get it started, you don't want this.

Carscw

Carscw

You don't have a clutch on this mower.
The belt is to small or someone changed a idler pulley to a bigger one.

Make sure the springs are in the correct spots.

B

bertsmobile1

Carefully chack the belt run and make sure that ir is not running against one of the keepers.
Very easy to do with that deck.
With the PTO lever in the off position the blade belt should be slack enough to allow it to slip at the engine pulley.
A madly bouncing belt is generally due to a bad pulley so check that eack & every one turns freely and has no flat spots worn into them.