Craftsman LT1000 Steering

Grizzly Adam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good afternoon all, first post here! Can anyone make some recommendations to smooth out the steering on a LT1000, it has quite a bit of play and is quick to turn once you get past that. I replaced the steering shaft and assembly last year so I think we are looking at mod territory here.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the condition of the lower steering shaft bushing and sector gear. Wear of either or both of these parts will contribute to your problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lots of debris will build up around the fan gear which needs to be regularly cleaned out.
The fan gear needs to be lubed your owners manual says to oil daily which you can not do unless you worked in a circus.
Most of us use spray grease after blowing all of the debris out using a very long air duster .

Grizzly Adam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked the condition of the lower steering shaft bushing and sector gear. Wear of either or both of these parts will contribute to your problem.
The sector gear was replaced as part of the assembly. I don't recall their being a singular bushing, only the ones in the axle assembly, which are all about 3 years old.

Grizzly Adam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lots of debris will build up around the fan gear which needs to be regularly cleaned out.
The fan gear needs to be lubed your owners manual says to oil daily which you can not do unless you worked in a circus.
Most of us use spray grease after blowing all of the debris out using a very long air duster .
I assume you are speaking of the same pat as Rivets, and it is new, clean, and lubed.

Grizzly Adam

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the steering bushing on the diagram, pn#155099. I have not replaced that part so I will add that to the list. I am also looking at replacing the plastic axle bushings with metal and adding thrust needle bearings.