Craftsman lawntractor: no power to starter motor

the.doc

Threads
Craftsman 917.289240
Briggs and Stratton Platinum Series 21.0 HP 540 cc Model 331877 Type 1234 B1 Code 090608ZD
Serial 090608ZD67562

Bought new in summer of 2009, and this is the first engine problem I've had with it.
Battery is dated May 2018 and has been on a BatteryMinder with microsecond pulses whenever not in use. It measured 13.5 volts when I started.

Today I tried to start it for the first time this year. The solenoid clicked, but that's all; I measured 0.0 volts at the starter motor with the solenoid engaged. Then I disconnected one end of the big wire going from the solenoid to the starter, turned the key again, and got battery voltage at the solenoid's output terminal. I took an automobile jumper cable, hooked one end to the starter motor and tapped the other end against the battery terminal; that got some action from the starter. That makes me think that the battery and the starter are OK, so it must be the solenoid. Measured the resistance from input to output terminal on the solenoid when it's engaged and got a 0.65 ohms. I don't know how that compares with what it should be.

Is there anything else I should try before starting to buy parts? I could run jumper cables from the car battery and see what happens that way.

thanks, guys all suggestions gratefully received

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jump from battery - to a good ground near the starter , I like to use the oil drain plug
Turn the key
Cranks fine = bad ground
Jump from battery + to solenoid , battery side turn the key
Cranks fine = bad power cable
Jump from solenoid starter side to starter
Cranks fine = bad power cable

Cranks lumpy = bad ACR on cam shaft or excessive valve lash defeating ACR

Otherwise could be a bad solenoid
They do burn particularly if you crank for more than a minute .
Three years is a bit short life for a mower battery

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Burned internal contacts in the starter solenoid. Recommend changing starter solenoid.

the.doc

Threads
Can somebody tell me about how many amps this starter pulls?

thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Depend on load. No load is around 60-80 amps but with load it can be much more. As said if you are measuring 0.65 ohms across the main solenoid terminals there will be a huge voltage drop there.

Also as mention if the valves are out adjustment or if the ACR has has failed the starter will be under extra load causing it to draw excessive current. There will be more voltage dropped across the solenoid then the starter as even at 80 amps the starter resistance is around 0.15 ohms @ 12 vdc. Therefore the bulk of the battery voltage will be dropped across the solenoid and the starter needs at least 10.5 vdc to operate correctly.

the.doc

Threads
New solenoid. Fired right up. Mowed grass.

thanks for the help

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
New solenoid. Fired right up. Mowed grass.

thanks for the help
if it comes back replace the battery if you haven't done so already. Also check the battery posts and ground circuit to be sure there is no corrosion. Most batteries are 4 -5 years life. Some can live longer but that is the average.