Craftsman Lawn Tractor won't start

musky000

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you read my procedure, you have to provide me with some readings after each step. Since I am not there, you have to tell me what is happening. Without this info, I am just like you, guessing as how to solve the problem.

I did all those steps.

1. ) 12.6 volts, battery is fine. Terminals clean. No blown fuse.
2.) Battery to solenoid does have 12 volts all the time to red side.
3.) No power to white wire on 4 wire solenoid. The black small ground has continuity with the frame so it is grounded. This is with the key turned on and pedal depressed. New plunger switch for clutch/brake there did not help.
4.) No power to other side of solenoid with key turned to start position.
5.) No power to starter with key turned to start.
6.) Ground wire to battery is good. Good connection.

So it seems like there is a problem with no power to the white wire on the four connector solenoid. I read post about it running in a loop. I have worked on some of those issues but I am not sure what to look at next.

Thanks for any further thoughts. I do have my meter and test light and normally can figure wiring issues out but this one has me a bit stumped.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might have done those steps, but never told us the results. From what you posted, if you have no power to either of the small terminals on the solenoid, you must now go back to the key switch with you test light and see if you have power on the S terminal, with the key in the start position. If you have power there, then you have to flow the wire from the key switch to the solenoid. Some where along this path you are losing your 12 Volts. You need to check all 3 safety switches, seat, brake, and PTO, unless you have an electric PTO switch. Following thru a PTO switch is tough without a wiring diagram, but you can check if you have power in and power out if understand current flow.

musky000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got it! It was the plunger switch ( switch interlock ) for the brake/clutch. It was kind of hard to access it but that was the issue.
Cheap fix just took a while to trace all those items down. I'd only say now that the contacts are a bit worn, I cleaned it up with electrical contact cleaner so it seems to be good to go.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. It all helped ( if nothing else kept me looking )!