Craftsman Koehler Command 16hp OHV no spark

artemjemmy

Threads
According this mower came with a Kohler CV16-43514. This has a DSAI or SAM ignition system and not MDI system. Depends if it been converted or not so will have two control wires or three controls wires plus the HV lead for spark plug.

The Sam control box is no longer available which is why Kohler is now sending out the DSAI conversion kit when the control box fails.

This is the SAM ignition module.
View attachment 59797
And this is the DSAI ignition module conversion kit
View attachment 59798.
I thought the current standard procedure was to replace either DSAI or DSAM systems with the newer and simpler MDI system, which only requires a ground wire.
The MDI system does not require a positive supply either. I think parts dealers are still selling this DSAM to DSAI system (even though it is obsolete), because they still have stock.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The only service bulletin I have seen on that conversion has on the V-twins.

Charlie11

Forum Newbie
Threads
The wiring diagram for your mower is on page 31 of this manual
See the box labeled "ignition unit"? This represents your engine magneto. The body of it is grounded (represented by the right wire), while the kill wire goes off to the left. If that kill wire obtains a connection to chassis ground, it will kill spark. To test if you do in fact have a ground on that wire, I would get an automotive style test light and hook the clamp end to battery positive, so the light will illuminate if you find a ground.
I don’t have the tools to do the test light but I did remove the smaller wire from the coil but still had no fire. I’m not wanting to spend any more $ on this mower, just trying to figure out if the coil is dead or, as you have suggested, there’s a short. Is there anyway to completely bypass all the electrical system to see if the coil is dead?Thanks for your help!

artemjemmy

Threads
I don’t have the tools to do the test light but I did remove the smaller wire from the coil but still had no fire. I’m not wanting to spend any more $ on this mower, just trying to figure out if the coil is dead or, as you have suggested, there’s a short. Is there anyway to completely bypass all the electrical system to see if the coil is dead? Thanks for your help!
Ok my bad Charlie, i wasn't aware that this engine has DSAM on it. Basically there is an spark advance computer module box on the side of the blower housing, with two separate wires, i think one is yellow and one is brown, with spade connectors that go to the spark coil. My test procedure for testing if the kill wire is grounding out wouldn't work here. If you already replaced the coil, you need to test if the computer box is bad, but you need to electrically see if the box is getting switched battery power, ground, and that the kill wire to the computer module isn't grounded first. The battery power wire should be red, the ground wire will just have an eyelet terminal on to the engine block, and i think the kill wire is white. Getting a cheap automotive test light would be really nice for these things