Craftsman GT 50" Kohler 24 HP V-Twin

jakesmurray

Threads
Is this a good mower? It is on my local craigslist for $600. It has a hydrostatic transmission, electric PTO clutch, 50" deck, and a Kohler 24 HP V-Twin. I really just want to know if these were notorious for any issues. I have attached a couple of pics.

mower1.jpg

mower2.jpg

HughDaHand

Threads
Is this a good mower? It is on my local craigslist for $600. It has a hydrostatic transmission, electric PTO clutch, 50" deck, and a Kohler 24 HP V-Twin. I really just want to know if these were notorious for any issues. I have attached a couple of pics.

View attachment 27731

View attachment 27732

Looks just like my '00 gt with 20hp kohler and 46" deck. I have owned it since it was new and the only real weak spot I have found with mine is the steering gears. They have been changed twice so far and now I am now religious about changing out the bushings in the steering. I mow about 2.5 hours each week with it and had to change out all the bearing in the deck this year but after 15 years of that I say they held up nice. Other than that is is only been regular maintenance on mine. Been happy with it for mowing and snow plowing. The major week point is the steering.

jakesmurray

Threads
Thanks Hugh! Thanks for mentioning the point about the steering. From my brief google searches, it appears others have had issues with that as well. I have had great luck with my Craftsman rider, and figure this particular mower would be similar in quality and performance.

HughDaHand

Threads
The problem with the steering starts at the bushing at the bottom of the shaft that comes down from the steering wheel. It is a bronze or brass bushing and once it starts to get worn out it lets the gears move apart while turning. If you let it get to worn out it leads to the sector gear wearing and support getting worn out also. I change that bushing about every 200 hours or so and the steering is holding up nicely now. Its a pain in the you know what the first couple times but not so bad now, I can do it in about 15 mins now.

jakesmurray

Threads
I have heard that these Kohler V-twins are prone to head gasket problems. Is there any truth to this?

jakesmurray

Threads
Ok guys, here's another one. This one is a GT5000, 48" deck, 25 HP Kohler V-twin. The only thing that scares me is it appears there is rust on the deck.

mower11.jpg

mower12.jpg

mower13.jpg

mower14.jpg

mower15.jpg

jakesmurray

Threads
I'd like to update this thread. We ended up picking up the red 2003 GT5000 for $400 in November. Just got done servicing it, and it runs like a champ. It had gator blades on it, which was a nice surprise. Love these hand operated hydros, it's just like my LTX1000. We sold our Murray 42" rider for $400, so it turned out to be an even trade. Hopefully this GT gives us many years of good service. :cool:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you read the operators manual you are supposed to oil the steering bush weekly which no one does because it is hard to get at.
Foaming chain oil works reasonably well but lithium spray grease i have found works best and if you can fins some longer tubing for the spray nozel it becomes even easier.

jakesmurray

Threads
Thanks a lot! For some reason I'm not getting email notifications of new posts, so I just now saw this. I did put some general purpose grease on the steering gear, it seemed to improve the smoothness of the steering.