Craftsman E405 Edger won't start

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry Hammer, but you’ll have to get steptoe to help you. He’s worked on cars, trucks, and heavy equipment, plus he knows how to balance an opposed cylinder engine with 4 carbs. This would mean he knows how both primary and secondary carbs need to work together when not getting fuel.

kjonxx

Threads
Sounds like maybe the valves need to be checked, exhaust leakage will not allow enough intake suction.

RevB

Threads
Sounds like maybe the valves need to be checked, exhaust leakage will not allow enough intake suction.
Maybe on the right track....bought an edger from a guy that said it wouldn't run. $5 later it's on the way home. First checked the valve lash.....the smaller the engine the more sensitive they are to correct setup. Forget what the lash was but adjusted the engine and would start on first pull. And the procedure was 10 pumps on the primer bulb and close choke. I eventually modified the starter rope to just come straight out of the rewinder and not have it snake up the handle and that gets a bit more rotation speed than the original setup.

Etbrown44

Threads
See if you can find a name and model number on the engine itself. If not, do some deep searching on e405 craftsman and see if sears provides any details. I do see a manual for it.

If sears parts is still in business they can tell you the carb part number which perhaps you can cross reference. I see an 800 number for Craftsman and perhaps they can do the same.

If not, see if you can match up your Walbro to another exactly like it, matching every feature to a T. Of course if there's a number on the Walbro then go with that.

With some patience you'll get there.

Etbrown44

Threads
Until you find your numbers its a crap shoot, however Mtd says the carb is a Model: 25A-E30-791. So maybe, but you can see the pic.

This is more random, and is a long shot, but a google search suggests a TB146ec on amazon, or an Mtd 751-16046-4.

Might be wrong, but at least it's a start.

kjonxx

Threads
Maybe on the right track....bought an edger from a guy that said it wouldn't run. $5 later it's on the way home. First checked the valve lash.....the smaller the engine the more sensitive they are to correct setup. Forget what the lash was but adjusted the engine and would start on first pull. And the procedure was 10 pumps on the primer bulb and close choke. I eventually modified the starter rope to just come straight out of the rewinder and not have it snake up the handle and that gets a bit more rotation speed than the original setup.
Could also be dried diaphram in carb if its that type of carb.