Craftsman DGS 6500 - clicks but won't start

JP98

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman DGS 6500 riding mower. I was mowing along just fine when it suddenly stopped. It clicks when I turn the key but won't start. It won't even turn the engine. I did a quick test bypassing the starter solenoid by touching the 2 posts on the starter solenoid and it turned the engine so I know the starter is good. The starter itself is fairly new. I replaced it about 2 months ago.

So, I replaced the starter solenoid today and still, it just clicks and won't turn the motor. I went ahead and also replaced the ignition switch. The same result. Can a bad PTO switch cause the mower not to start? That's the only thing I haven't replaced. I really don't want to take this to a repair shop. It seems like something I can easily fix. I just don't know what else I can try.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

JP98

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not the PTO, look at all your connections , check for corrosion and clean up everything,
Thanks Bert. Yes, double checked all the connections. All good. No loose wires, no corrosion. It's all super clean.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the clicking coming from the solenoid. A pto switch can cause a no start but if the solenoid is clicking it is not the problem.

JP98

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the clicking coming from the solenoid. A pto switch can cause a no start but if the solenoid is clicking it is not the problem.
I'll have to put my ear close to the solenoid to confirm if it's coming from there or not. I was thinking it's coming from the starter but I'll confirm when I get home this evening.

I ordered a PTO switch and should arrive tomorrow. I'll try that too.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Throwing parts at the problem can get expensive.

Since this die during mowing I would checking the battery voltage. might a case where the electric clutch drained the battery during the mowing dropping out the fuel solenoid.. May not have enough voltage to fully pull in the starter solenoid contacts.

Starting the ignition switch test for voltage at the "S" terminal with switch held in the start position. Next test the PTO switch for both in and out voltage. Then next check at the clutch/brake switch for both in and out with the pedal fully depressed. And finally check at the trigger terminal of the starter solenoid.

Now of course you need a helper to do this tests.

On a side note those Delphi terminals can look good and still not be making good contact due broken hinge spring contact.

1719244672606.png

kbowley

Threads
Hi. First off, stop throwing money away replacing perfectly good parts. Next step: apply parking brake and put a voltmeter on the connection to the starter terminal and turn the key to the start position. What is the voltage reading? Given that your solenoid is engaging to send power to the starter, there are no issues with any of the parts you have replaced. Your safety switches, ignition switch, PTO switch are all working as they should. The issue is either low voltage going to the starter or a bad starter. You must have a voltmeter to diagnose the issue(s). The most puzzling issue here is why did the engine suddenly stop running? There is a fuel shutoff solenoid on the carburetor, listen closely while turning the key from the off to on position repeatedly and listen for a clicking at the said solenoid. does it click?

Bertrrr

Threads
There are 2 clicking noises you should notice, one--------in the on position ,,,,you should notice a click at the carburator fuel shut off solenoid ,,,,,,,,,,2 weather or not your machine is running you should hear a click at the PTO when you engage that switch,,,,,,,,,, 3 --- when you hit the Start position on your key switch --- if you hear a click here and the starter does not engage the solenoid may be the issue .......spit balling here

kbowley

Threads
There are 2 clicking noises you should notice, one--------in the on position ,,,,you should notice a click at the carburator fuel shut off solenoid ,,,,,,,,,,2 weather or not your machine is running you should hear a click at the PTO when you engage that switch,,,,,,,,,, 3 --- when you hit the Start position on your key switch --- if you hear a click here and the starter does not engage the solenoid may be the issue .......spit balling here
You will need to be sitting on the seat for the PTO to engage...just an FYI.

JP98

Forum Newbie
Threads

You're right on the money. All of the above is exactly what happens. The starter solenoid is brand new. Now I'm wondering if they sent me a bad one. I didn't try to bypass it because I assumed it's good. I'll try that tonight. In the meanwhile, I'm going to order a replacement for it in case it's bad.

Yeah, I tend to throw parts at it to find the fix. I have Amazon Prime. One of the perks is I can return anything I buy, no questions asked. They get enough business from me and my wife that I don't feel bad taking advantage of this perk. That's why I pay that Prime membership.