Craftsman CV460S Lifter Tap

Kohler40

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a Craftsman LT 1000...approximately 13 years old and about 250 run hours.

I'm running Kohler 10W-30 with a Kohler oil filter.

Recently, I began hearing a lifter tap & was wondering what can be done to correct this issue.

Any additives that can be added to the oil to correct this issue?

Thanks,
Mike

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You have one of two issues, either the lifter has collapsed and isn't being reinflated with oil pressure, or in some cases , if the lifter doesn't rotate it wears a small groove in the bottom of the lifter where it meets the camshaft lobe, and will cause a tapping, or rattling sound. In both cases you just need to replace the lifters. There like $12 each.

Kohler40

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have one of two issues, either the lifter has collapsed and isn't being reinflated with oil pressure, or in some cases , if the lifter doesn't rotate it wears a small groove in the bottom of the lifter where it meets the camshaft lobe, and will cause a tapping, or rattling sound. In both cases you just need to replace the lifters. There like $12 each.

Sometimes, the tapping will quiet & then it will return. Does this symptom sound more like the lifter not rotating?

Wouldn't the lifter tap regularly if it was collapsed?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Coming and going sounds like the non rotating lifter issue. It will wear a small groove in the bottom of the lifter causing an intermittent pecking sound that comes and goes because the lifter will rotate sometimes.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I own a Craftsman LT 1000...approximately 13 years old and about 250 run hours.

I'm running Kohler 10W-30 with a Kohler oil filter.

Recently, I began hearing a lifter tap & was wondering what can be done to correct this issue.

Any additives that can be added to the oil to correct this issue?

Thanks,
Mike

Its worth a try because a can of additive doesn't cost very much compared to a engine rip down. A lifter may only be 12 dollars? but that doesn't install it. You might also try SAE 30 oil also instead of 10W-30.

Kohler40

Forum Newbie
Threads

Is there any chance that the valves need readjusted...as they never have been adjusted. Could that also cause a tapping sound?

This mower has always had the oil and filter changed regularly...I've always used 10W-30 engine oil.

Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler has adjustable and nonadjustable lifters. Yes just adjust them if they are adjustable. Kohler has a very good repair manual on their web site which will give you all the information you will need.

Kohler40

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler has adjustable and nonadjustable lifters. Yes just adjust them if they are adjustable. Kohler has a very good repair manual on their web site which will give you all the information you will need.

Thank for your information. Just an added note...today, I started it and it tapped ( ticked quite a bit ) until it ran for approximately 10 mins. Is this an intermittent issue with Kohler engines?

Would adjusting the valves ( if they are out of spec ) quiet the noisy lifter tap & would adding seafoam or a similar product assist in quieting the lifter and prevent it from possibly making future noise?

Thanks for all of your assistance.

Mike