Export thread

Craftsman CV460S Lifter Tap

K

Kohler40

I own a Craftsman LT 1000...approximately 13 years old and about 250 run hours.

I'm running Kohler 10W-30 with a Kohler oil filter.

Recently, I began hearing a lifter tap & was wondering what can be done to correct this issue.

Any additives that can be added to the oil to correct this issue?

Thanks,
Mike

I

ILENGINE

You have one of two issues, either the lifter has collapsed and isn't being reinflated with oil pressure, or in some cases , if the lifter doesn't rotate it wears a small groove in the bottom of the lifter where it meets the camshaft lobe, and will cause a tapping, or rattling sound. In both cases you just need to replace the lifters. There like $12 each.

K

Kohler40

You have one of two issues, either the lifter has collapsed and isn't being reinflated with oil pressure, or in some cases , if the lifter doesn't rotate it wears a small groove in the bottom of the lifter where it meets the camshaft lobe, and will cause a tapping, or rattling sound. In both cases you just need to replace the lifters. There like $12 each.

Sometimes, the tapping will quiet & then it will return. Does this symptom sound more like the lifter not rotating?

Wouldn't the lifter tap regularly if it was collapsed?

I

ILENGINE

Coming and going sounds like the non rotating lifter issue. It will wear a small groove in the bottom of the lifter causing an intermittent pecking sound that comes and goes because the lifter will rotate sometimes.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I own a Craftsman LT 1000...approximately 13 years old and about 250 run hours.

I'm running Kohler 10W-30 with a Kohler oil filter.

Recently, I began hearing a lifter tap & was wondering what can be done to correct this issue.

Any additives that can be added to the oil to correct this issue?

Thanks,
Mike

Its worth a try because a can of additive doesn't cost very much compared to a engine rip down. A lifter may only be 12 dollars? but that doesn't install it. You might also try SAE 30 oil also instead of 10W-30.

K

Kohler40

Is there any chance that the valves need readjusted...as they never have been adjusted. Could that also cause a tapping sound?

This mower has always had the oil and filter changed regularly...I've always used 10W-30 engine oil.

Thanks

reynoldston

reynoldston

Kohler has adjustable and nonadjustable lifters. Yes just adjust them if they are adjustable. Kohler has a very good repair manual on their web site which will give you all the information you will need.

K

Kohler40

Kohler has adjustable and nonadjustable lifters. Yes just adjust them if they are adjustable. Kohler has a very good repair manual on their web site which will give you all the information you will need.

Thank for your information. Just an added note...today, I started it and it tapped ( ticked quite a bit ) until it ran for approximately 10 mins. Is this an intermittent issue with Kohler engines?

Would adjusting the valves ( if they are out of spec ) quiet the noisy lifter tap & would adding seafoam or a similar product assist in quieting the lifter and prevent it from possibly making future noise?

Thanks for all of your assistance.

Mike