Craftsman Chainsaw will not start

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
You must also hold in the throttle all the way when checking :thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From your model number your saw is made by Poulan. Flywheel key is made into the flywheel, and you will have to remove the flywheel to check it. 90 PSI is the minimum acceptable compression on Poulan saws. From the clunky starting it sounds like something is maybe hanging up some place. Make sure there is about .010 clearance between the flywheel and the igntion module. While you are checking the clearance, grab the flywheel and see if it moves from side to side, to indicate a bad crankshaft bearing. I have seen several saws over the years with bad flywheel end crankshaft bearings.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would also check the crank seals. If one of them is bad, you will not get enough crankcase vacuum to draw in the fuel.

Rdavis441

Threads
Thank you. It has become obvious that I must find a hub puller to get the flywheel off. My puller is too thick to get uder the flywheel. Thank you again for the info. I will keep everyone who has provided me with help, updates on my progress. Ron

Rdavis441

Threads
I want to thank everyone who has offered me help. I am making good progress. I haven't gotten it started yet but I think I am just about there. I have been able to get the fly wheel off and looked at the key. After seeing it, I feel quite dumb in not knowing what folks were refering to as the flywheel key. Although it was many years ago, I have replaced one before. This one is a bit different from what the previous one was which a separate little piece of metal that slid into a slot. On this flywheel, the key is actually a part of the flywheel and the flywheel and key slides down into the slot in the crankshaft. I don't believe it is sheared ,but one edge is not sharp (kind of rounded). One of the advisors on this problem suggested that any little thing will throw off the timing so I guess I will have to buy a new flywheel. I will provide another progress report when I have done that and actually get it started.
Thanks again to everyone --- This Forum rocks.
Ron

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would not purchase a new flywheel until I have checked everything else. Yes, it could be the flywheel, but you should eliminate everything else as they can be expensive.

Rdavis441

Threads
I some how screwed up this morning and wrote a long status update that didn't get posted for some reason. I won't go thru it all again. I still haven't gotten it started but I was able to get the flywheel off without a puller. I looked at the key and I don't believe it is sheared off but one side does not have a sharp edge like the other side--it is slightly rounded. The key is not a replaceable one. It is a part of the flywheel and it slides down into a slot on the crankshaft which means I probably have to purchase a new fly wheel instead of just a key. The key slides nicely down into the slot on the crankshaft with no side movement- and since I now know how to take the flywheel off again, I am going to put it back together and try it again. If the problem still persists, I will buy the new flywheel. I will again give a progress report after I complete my next step.
I want to again thank all you folks that given me your time and advice. THIS FORUM ROCKS.

Rdavis441

Threads
I don't know what is going on. Before writing my last reply, I checked for a response to the reply I wrote this morning and didn't see my earlier reply or the response. After posting this last reply, I now see the earlier one and the response. Please have patience with a doddering old man.
By the way - what does reply witha quote mean?????
Ron

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know what is going on. Before writing my last reply, I checked for a response to the reply I wrote this morning and didn't see my earlier reply or the response. After posting this last reply, I now see the earlier one and the response. Please have patience with a doddering old man.
By the way - what does reply witha quote mean?????
Ron

Reply with quote, means to reply to the message and quoting the message you are replying to in the message body, such as I did here, if that makes sense. :confused2::confused2: