craftsman b/s starter gear problem

railroader77

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi, i have a 1996 craftsman 42 in riding mower. it has a 19hp turbo cool I/C platinum briggs and stratton motor on it. the problem is the starter gear keeps tearing up. it usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to demolish. i have put about 5 of those platic gears on it and the same problem persists. any help would be appreciated. thanks

railroader77

Forum Newbie
Threads
oh yea, the model number of the mower is 917256571 if that helps. thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have found that sometimes I have to shim the starter so the gears have a good mesh.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Whats your model, type and code of your engine?
Not the model of the mower itself but the engine.

railroader77

Forum Newbie
Threads
i will have to look, where would i find the information

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
5 gears in 2 to 3 weeks. I don't kown about you but dosen't it tell you that there is a problim. Just why in the world would you be looking to install another one without fixing the reason? Are you thinking what you are installing the wrong gear? I sure wouldn't want to go from number 6 to 7 unless you are getting free parts and just enjoy changing this gear?? This is the reason I said check the mesh of the gears or do you have bad teeth on the flywheel.

railroader77

Forum Newbie
Threads
If u read my post, it says it usually takes 2 to 3 weeks for the gear to quit working

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If u read my post, it says it usually takes 2 to 3 weeks for the gear to quit working

It just looks to me you put 5 gears in so far. Any way you look at why would you not want to fix it so this doesn't happen. If it was mine I would want it fixed after the first one. On my mowers the frist gear gos the life of the mower. I thought you were asking for any ideas why this was happing on your frist post? This hasn't been much of a problim on mowers for me. But back when I was into car repair if you replaced a stsrter and didn't shim the starter you would rip the teeth off the flywheel. This is what I am guessing is what is happing to your drive gears. Not unless you are buying the wrong gears or have bad teeth on the flywheel.

OzRanga

Threads
Sounds like you have a Model 31 B&S OHV.
Firstly, ensure you are putting the right gear on as there is a couple of types for that engine...
You then need to check your valve clearance. If your valve clearance is excessive then the engine may 'kick back' on the compression stroke as the decompressor doesnt work correctly on the intake valve (bottom valve when you take the valve cover off)
Set at 0.003" to 0.005" with the piston 1/4" past TDC