Craftsman 917256543 steering problems; won't turn to the right

pastorbud

Threads
  • / Craftsman 917256543 steering problems; won't turn to the right
I just bought an older Craftsman lawn tractor (917256543, 15 HP Kohler). When you turn right, the pinion gear "clicks".

Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem. The gears themselve (pn 17 and pn 27 in the diagram STEERING ASSEMBLY Diagram & Parts List for Model 917256543 Craftsman-Parts Riding-mower-tractor-Parts | SearsPartsDirect ) look OK, and they work fine turning left, but under pressure turning right, they separate, pop, and com back together.

I'm thinking maybe it's just pn 19, the shaft support ( Lawn tractor shaft support | 160395 | SearsPartsDirect ) that's worn and letting them be pushed out of place.

Just wanted to check and see if anyone else had dealt with this before I order the gears, if all I need is the shaft support. I only paid $350 for the tractor... with a single stage 42" snowblower!... so I don't want to buy another $50 in parts if I don't have to.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That shaft support ( sleeve bearing ) is a common problem. It seldom, if ever, gets lubricated. Apply grease to the gears too. Try only the support bearing first. Left turns failure is more common with right side discharge.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ditto on the lower steering bush have replaced a lot of them.
A real PIA job to do as mod need to pull the steering stem out through the bottom of the mower.
So now I just drop the deck, drain the fuel then lift the tractor up by the front axel beam till it is standing up straight

pastorbud

Threads
I ordered one. From the picture it looks like they've re-designed them for more strength side-to-side.

Any tips for removing/replacing these?

Looks like I have to remove the fuel tank, pull the steering wheel, and lift out the steering shaft. Not sure what else has to be undone down there.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very good advice from all, replaced complete assembly several years ago due to gears having no grease and being completely worn down.

pastorbud

Threads
Ditto on the lower steering bush have replaced a lot of them.
A real PIA job to do as mod need to pull the steering stem out through the bottom of the mower.
So now I just drop the deck, drain the fuel then lift the tractor up by the front axel beam till it is standing up straight

Well, mine's got a great big snow thrower attached to the front right now, so I probl'y won't go that route.... I hope.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Humm yes, that might pose a bit of a problem.
I must admit I am not totally familiar with your tractor but the rule of thumb is ;-
If the fan gear ( quadrant gear to some ) is above the bottom of the mower you pull the steering stem up.
If the fan gear is under the mower then you have to pull it out from the bottom so you need about 2.5 foot of clearance under the mower.

The easiest one do do are the drop down ones as you just remove the steering wheel and sometimes a retaining collar then it just falls out.
If it comes out rom the top then yes the tank has to come out, and the PTO lever and some times even the brake .

Good luck

pastorbud

Threads
So, it's all fixed. Coupla tips--

1) The 3/16" allen head screw (pn 22 at link above) in the bottom of the steering shaft was just in finger tight. That may have actually been the whole problem, but since I had already ordered and received the new shaft support, and since you have to take off the shaft support to get to that allen screw, it was a moot point. If anyone has this problem in the future, and is on a tight schedule, it might make sense to check that, tighten if needed and re-assemble.

2) I cleaned up that allen head screw and dosed it real good with thread lock.

3) I figured the easiest way to get it out was to take off the lock nut (pn 12) from drag link (pn 10) to free up the shaft assembly(pn 23), then....

4) Pop off the e-clip (pn 8) on the right side of the shaft assembly (pn 23), then....

5) Take out the four 9/16 bolts (pn 29) holding the whole mechanism on the frame. Getting those out was the hardest part. The front two are easy: socket and extension. The back left came out with a 9/16 box end slipped flat under the steering shaft. I used a conventional open end wrench to break it loose, the a ratcheting box end to get it the rest of the way out. (A magnetic parts retriever wand worked well for "sneaking" them back in.) The back right was hardest to get at, but with the e-clip off, and three of the 9/16 bolts removed, I was able to separate the assembly enough to get a long socket and extension down in there. See photo: mms_picture (1).jpg

Once all that was done, (and the steering wheel and cowl were off) I was able to raise the whole assembly and steering shaft and get to the second e-clip off to disassemble the unit and put in the new shaft support.

PAY ClOSE attention to the orientation on the shaft support. The flat vertical slats go on the right (as you sit on the tractor and face forward; see photo: mms_picture.jpg ). The shaft support has a "snout" on that side that has to go through the larger hole on the frame holding it (pn 25). I got that in backwards (shoulda looked at my own picture!) and had to take that whole thing apart and re-do it.

Also pay close attention to the orientation between the shaft assembly (pn 23) and the steering sector gear (pn 27). There are no registration marks that I could see, and I had to fiddle with it a bit to make sure it was "landing" in a way that let me get full travel on the gear turning all the way left and all the way right.

Lastly.... they shoulda made that part out of metal! Anything but plastic.

Oh.. and if I had it to do over again, I would also have ordered a new nyliner (pn 24). Mine did not look too bad, but it's less than $3, so while you have it out.....

The good news is, it all works, and if the snow hits tomorrow as predicted, I think I'm ready.

Attachments

• mms_picture (1).jpg
    mms_picture (1).jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 6
  • mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 5

pastorbud

Threads
And SeniorCitizen is right about keeping it all lubed. I sprayed it down with white lithium grease during and after re-assembly.

It's also probably important to keep the rest of all the steering components lubed, especially at the zerks above each front wheel. The harder those components are to turn, the more wear and tear on that cheap plastic support shaft at the bottom of the steering shaft.