Craftsman 917.289240 hard to engage blades

the.doc

Threads
The only names I know for most of the parts are the ones I see in the parts manual that came with it. When one of you says X and I ask if that's Y, it's just me trying to learn something; last thing I'd be likely to do on here is correct one of you guys.

the.doc

Threads
Occasionally, I have to clean and lube the deck channel and idler mount (where the idler pulley mount slides, the part on the deck that moves when the engagement lever is moved upwards to move the cable).View attachment 58349
A friend gave me a leaf blower a few years ago. Since then I always blow the clippings off the deck when I'm through. Takes about two minutes. Before that I used a shop vac. Took a lot longer.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
After reading all of your replies, there are a couple of more things to go through.
I assume that you have the correct belt. Since, you stated that it’s been hard to manipulate from early on.
Everything moves freely on the deck. Evidently, nothing is wrong there.
Now to the cable, cable bracket and lever. You need to determine if the cable moves freely in it’s sleeve. Disconnect the cable at the deck and move the lever back and forth. Does it move freely? Is the lever mechanism binding up? You may need to lube your cable or replace. You may need to replace the bracket assembly, where the handle is mounted.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The part numbers may be different than those listed in this video. Use this video as guidance only. It will give you an understanding of how things work.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Again, for guidance only. Your part numbers may be different.

oldlawnguy

Threads
Again, for guidance only. Your part numbers may be different.
I'm with Mparr here. I had a similar issue about 8 years ago where it was getting gradually more difficult to engage the deck to the point that I cracked the mower clutch. Also make sure you have the right clutch cable for your mower, not a cheap substitute. Maybe you can keep deck on the ground and hook up clutch & cable and have someone engage the clutch while you are watching below to determine what is resisting. From the low grain picture it does look like it need a good lube at the minimum. Debris build up of grass & dirt can do wonders creating friction for parts that should be moving freely.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
The only names I know for most of the parts are the ones I see in the parts manual that came with it. When one of you says X and I ask if that's Y, it's just me trying to learn something; last thing I'd be likely to do on here is correct one of you guys.
iF THE CABLE MOVES FREELY, the problem is most likely the deck and most likely the brake system. Many times we find the cheap brake systems are the problem and it can be hard to detect.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Cable housings do wear and cause binding under load even though they work fine un loaded. The spring at the end of cable is what keeps constant tension the deck belt. Also these cable are prone internal corrosion which leads to cable binding under load.

I even had to replace a nearly new cable with a few months as the mower had sat in the weather awaiting the customer to pick it up.

Also on this deck items 55 and 56 can both rust and wear binding things up.
1632067853696.png

and of course the LH blade brake can also bind up the same way. items 56 and 60.
1632067960071.png

Last edited:

crazy charlie

Threads
I am experiencing same and assumed it was normal until i couldnt get engaged .I jacked it up and while laying on the ground pressure washed everywhere,and I mean everywhere.I manually moved all pulleys and belts by hand and rinsed again.Immediately after doing this ,all engaged pretty easily.I asumed it was fixed however next mowing it wouldnt engage again.Jacked it up again and with a can of spray lube,I lubed everywhere and I mean everywhere including the cable behind the engagement lever.Its been working fine since but still not easy to push up that lever.Charlie