craftsman 917.288563 24 hrse briggs. won't move.

bebuzz69

Threads
starts and runs fine, but wen i hit the forward or reverse it won't move. the freewheel lever is all the way in, but it dosent make any difference if its in or out it freewheels
eather way.could the trans be shot. i dont know any more i can do.

mitchstein443

Threads
ok, did you check the belts to make sure they are not missing, off the pulleys or broken?
maybe the clutch is rusted or otherwise stuck, mkesure the levers are moving freely with the pedal.
without looking up the actual mower I think it is a hydrostatic trans, was there "oil" leaking from the trans, maybe it needs transfluid...
doubting this one, but saw it once, both keys on both axles broke and the axle spun inside the rims, make sure that isn't happening..

here's a link to the parts and troubleshooting for the mower...

bebuzz69

Threads
ok, did you check the belts to make sure they are not missing, off the pulleys or broken?
maybe the clutch is rusted or otherwise stuck, mkesure the levers are moving freely with the pedal.
without looking up the actual mower I think it is a hydrostatic trans, was there "oil" leaking from the trans, maybe it needs transfluid...
doubting this one, but saw it once, both keys on both axles broke and the axle spun inside the rims, make sure that isn't happening..

here's a link to the parts and troubleshooting for the mower...

all belts are on, checked the wheels keys are in.it is a rhdro trans, the book says its sealed from factory, no where to put any in,
the levers are moving.every thing is moving like it should just wont move under power.

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
BeBuzz: Did this tractor operate normally and then suddenly this was the condition, or is this a new tractor to you? There is a purge procedure for these hydrostatic transmissions when they get air locked in a funk. Have you done that yet?

bebuzz69

Threads
somebody brought in, we work on small projects, oil changes ,service, said it was sitting for about 3 years.dont know if it ever ran,tried to purge trans, but nothing .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the brake
Raise the mower off the ground and try again
If the rear wheels turn in opposite directions then the brake is locked on
Usually you can not push the mower in this condition.
But some times with no weight they will roll but nit with some one on it .

mitchstein443

Threads
can you turn the transmission pulley by hand? or is it locked?
If you can turn it by hand does the axle move at all.
ALso do the wheels spin free in otherwords do they turn if you push the mower? If they do then the rod in the back is in the out position diengaging the axle from the transmission. On my dyt4000 this happened once, we had to grease it up and force it in, then all was fine.
Putting my dyt4000 with the rear wheels off the ground and putting it in gear one wheel spins forward the other spins in reverse, just like a car does... Put some resistance and both spin forward when in forward geer.. if you hand spin the also spin opposite.. (had to try it and this is how it works).

other then those things looks like a bad trans, I believe tyrel dactyle has a video showing how to rebild them..

bebuzz69

Threads
can you turn the transmission pulley by hand? or is it locked?
If you can turn it by hand does the axle move at all.
ALso do the wheels spin free in otherwords do they turn if you push the mower? If they do then the rod in the back is in the out position diengaging the axle from the transmission. On my dyt4000 this happened once, we had to grease it up and force it in, then all was fine.
Putting my dyt4000 with the rear wheels off the ground and putting it in gear one wheel spins forward the other spins in reverse, just like a car does... Put some resistance and both spin forward when in forward geer.. if you hand spin the also spin opposite.. (had to try it and this is how it works).

other then those things looks like a bad trans, I believe tyrel dactyle has a video showing how to rebild them..
pulled the motor and scraped it.