Craftsman 917-288525 YT3000

charleneje

Threads
On my 2014 Craftsman YT3000 model 917-288525, is there any way to check the oil in the hydrostat rear axle? My mower starts okay then after about 30 ft it starts to make a whining noise 50 ft or so further on it stops moving and wont drive at all, if I let it sit for 30 minutes or so it will drive about 30ft that gives me the chance to drive it back to the shed.
I had noticed in the past starting about 6 years ago that after I had been mowing for about an hour it didn't like going up 20-degree climbs so I went along the slope instead of up and down it.
Is there any way at all to check the oil in it and put oil in it I looked up a new replacement rear axle for that mower and they are something around $900.00 I don't have that kind of money I live on Social Security.
I looked on the bay selling site and they are about half that for a used one but what is the point in putting a used one on the mower? For all I know it will quit in 3 month's time I have heard of so many of these hydrostat rear axles quitting I just want to see if there is any way to make sure it has enough oil in it I cannot believe these things break this quickly.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1717716863826.png

1717716749439.png

charleneje

Threads
On the top of the axle is what looks like it might be a fill plug it has a hex type hole looks like an allen key would fit it, I have avoided even touching any bolts on the axle because everything I have read until you put that diagram up said the axle was sealed and could not be checked for oil. Where you are showing as a fill port is where the plug with hex hole in it is. I saw that plug but was afraid I may be messing something up by taking it out now the axle is basically useless. I will take it out and pour oil in it if there is no oil showing thank you for the diagram. I tried to undo that plug and a snap on hex drive socket broke is it left or right hand thread? Thank you for the diagram showing the oil fill port as I said everything else I read there was no fill or level port, I even searched utube videos for information.