Export thread

Craftsman 917-288525 YT3000

C

charleneje

On my 2014 Craftsman YT3000 model 917-288525, is there any way to check the oil in the hydrostat rear axle? My mower starts okay then after about 30 ft it starts to make a whining noise 50 ft or so further on it stops moving and wont drive at all, if I let it sit for 30 minutes or so it will drive about 30ft that gives me the chance to drive it back to the shed.
I had noticed in the past starting about 6 years ago that after I had been mowing for about an hour it didn't like going up 20-degree climbs so I went along the slope instead of up and down it.
Is there any way at all to check the oil in it and put oil in it I looked up a new replacement rear axle for that mower and they are something around $900.00 I don't have that kind of money I live on Social Security.
I looked on the bay selling site and they are about half that for a used one but what is the point in putting a used one on the mower? For all I know it will quit in 3 month's time I have heard of so many of these hydrostat rear axles quitting I just want to see if there is any way to make sure it has enough oil in it I cannot believe these things break this quickly.

StarTech

StarTech

1717716863826.png

1717716749439.png

C

charleneje

On the top of the axle is what looks like it might be a fill plug it has a hex type hole looks like an allen key would fit it, I have avoided even touching any bolts on the axle because everything I have read until you put that diagram up said the axle was sealed and could not be checked for oil. Where you are showing as a fill port is where the plug with hex hole in it is. I saw that plug but was afraid I may be messing something up by taking it out now the axle is basically useless. I will take it out and pour oil in it if there is no oil showing thank you for the diagram. I tried to undo that plug and a snap on hex drive socket broke is it left or right hand thread? Thank you for the diagram showing the oil fill port as I said everything else I read there was no fill or level port, I even searched utube videos for information.