Craftsman 917 27307 deck to low in front.

mwhitnell

Threads
How do I raise deck height in front 2". Ofcourse the trun knob doesn't work well but it fails to move front height. What do I do to raise front height permanently?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you mower has the single drag link at the front you shorten it
If it is shortened as far as it will go then you bend the bracket forward as over time they bend back
The drag link really should be sprung so every time people slam into things with the deck ( we all do it ) it just compresses the spring rather than bending the bracket .

mwhitnell

Threads
Ok, my mower has two drag links in front, ther is no spring. I cut a 1/8 x 7" bar stock with two holes 3/8" x 6" OC. Used carraiage bolt at tab on deck where the drgaglink mounted, and hole directly above on frame. This raises about 3", just so there is clearance with belt and deck in front. The blade are approx 1" about deck bottom, so now I have approx 4" clearans blades to grass, maybe a little less. Just right. Now you don't use the drop down bar at all.

Phot strap ton drag link 1 sm.jpgSrap on drag link 2 sm.jpgStrap on drag link 3 sm.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Those two front links can be moved to lower holes which would them a better angle to lift the deck.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Ok, my mower has two drag links in front, ther is no spring. I cut a 1/8 x 7" bar stock with two holes 3/8" x 6" OC. Used carraiage bolt at tab on deck where the drgaglink mounted, and hole directly above on frame. This raises about 3", just so there is clearance with belt and deck in front. The blade are approx 1" about deck bottom, so now I have approx 4" clearans blades to grass, maybe a little less. Just right. Now you don't use the drop down bar at all.

View attachment 68990View attachment 68991View attachment 68992
If you raised the deck height in the front only, and did not change the rear of deck, that is a problem. The deck on a mower should be pitched about 1/4” lower in the front than rear. This pitch allows the blades to cut a bit lower when spinning in the front, then catch grass again slightly higher in rear. Two inches higher than rear throws cutting quality of deck off.