Craftsman 6.5hp Runs fast

mmanter

Threads
I got a Craftsman mower 6.5 HP Tecumseh that was dead for who knows how long that I managed to get running. When I pulled the cord & fired it up I noticed the engine seems to be running fast, especially compared to another Craftsman 6.5 HP Tecumseh of the same year. Both mowers have the same model number so I'm guessing they should idle the same.

Anyways I noticed the spring that goes from the throttle to the governor lever is slightly stretched at the end of spring where it attaches to the governor lever. Could the spring be causing the mower to idle fast?

Thanks for any info!

DaveTN

Threads
I got a Craftsman mower 6.5 HP Tecumseh that was dead for who knows how long that I managed to get running. When I pulled the cord & fired it up I noticed the engine seems to be running fast, especially compared to another Craftsman 6.5 HP Tecumseh of the same year. Both mowers have the same model number so I'm guessing they should idle the same.

Anyways I noticed the spring that goes from the throttle to the governor lever is slightly stretched at the end of spring where it attaches to the governor lever. Could the spring be causing the mower to idle fast?

Thanks for any info!

Sure, a stretched throttle spring will cause it to run faster. The balance point (RPM) is achieved through two opposing forces. 1) the throttle spring trying to pull the engine into more fuel and thus run faster. 2) the governor trying to pull it out of fuel The balance between those two forces results in engine speed and RPM. Give it more gas, you merely stretch the spring and the governor counteracts it.