Craftsman 42" Riding Mower (20381) Poor Mulching Performance

jsurpless

Threads
  • / Craftsman 42" Riding Mower (20381) Poor Mulching Performance
I've had this mower for about 2 years now

2014 Craftsman T2200 Model 20381 42 in Hydro 19hp Yard Tractor Review – 540cc Single Briggs Platinum | TodaysMower.com

Recently (not sure exactly when), it has not been mulching in certain areas very well. The end result is that streaks of clumping grass are left behind

I am making sure that the grass is dry, that I'm not cutting too much of it and that I'm not going too fast.

Sears came out to take a look and told me it was because of the Gator blades (they don't mulch well, I was told) I had installed and that the deck had a lot of buildup underneath it.

I humored them, letting them clean the deck and install their own mulching blades. Not much of an impact

They came out a 2nd time and they could find nothing wrong mechanically

I just don't get it - everything I read tells me that I'm cutting properly but yet, clumps are left behind that haven't been mulched well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok so what I know about mulching blades is they are not designed to cut more than 1" of grass at a time. They like 1/2 much better.
As you can tell I know very little about mulching blades.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
In the fall I run mulching blades but let them side discharge. Prevents grass building up under the deck.
Mulching blades are made to keep the grass under the deck. Throwing the grass towards the center of the deck.

jsurpless

Threads
In the fall I run mulching blades but let them side discharge. Prevents grass building up under the deck.
Mulching blades are made to keep the grass under the deck. Throwing the grass towards the center of the deck.

What do you do during the spring?

No mulching blades, no mulch kit blocking guard?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When was the last time you changed the deck belt? Have you checked to see if the blade brakes are fully releasing? Has the deck been leveled properly? When did you sharpen the blades? All things areas can contribute to your problem.

jsurpless

Threads
When was the last time you changed the deck belt? Have you checked to see if the blade brakes are fully releasing? Has the deck been leveled properly? When did you sharpen the blades? All things areas can contribute to your problem.

Sears came out and took a look - according to them, there's nothing wrong with the mower... tech looked at everything, brand new blades, deck is level, blades spin well, etc

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If a Sears tech told you everything is right, then there should be no problem, as they are experienced techs and you believed them? Yes, I'm being sarcastic, wouldn't be the first time I've clashed with those guys. Did they see it clumping, if so they would not have made that statement. In cases where I have seen your problem, the causes are those I asked about. Blades not turning fast enough, decks that are level front to rear, when the rear should be 1/8"-1/4" higher in the rear. Who checked the level and how did they do it? Wrong or dull blades. My questions would be, does it always happen in the same area? Do the blades seem to retain their speed when it happens? Does it happen when turning, going straight, up or down slopes, all of the above? Is your engine always running at full throttle? Draw me a picture as to what is happening, as I'm not standing there to see it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What do you do during the spring? No mulching blades, no mulch kit blocking guard?

I run a low lift blade in the late spring/summer
Fall/winter mulching blades. No mulch kit.

jsurpless

Threads
If a Sears tech told you everything is right, then there should be no problem, as they are experienced techs and you believed them? Yes, I'm being sarcastic, wouldn't be the first time I've clashed with those guys. Did they see it clumping, if so they would not have made that statement. In cases where I have seen your problem, the causes are those I asked about. Blades not turning fast enough, decks that are level front to rear, when the rear should be 1/8"-1/4" higher in the rear. Who checked the level and how did they do it? Wrong or dull blades. My questions would be, does it always happen in the same area? Do the blades seem to retain their speed when it happens? Does it happen when turning, going straight, up or down slopes, all of the above? Is your engine always running at full throttle? Draw me a picture as to what is happening, as I'm not standing there to see it.

The mulching blades are brand new, Sears just installed them about 2 weeks ago

I always run the engine about 3/4 of the throttle lever - I think it's a notched position?

I believe that he said the deck was level - not sure if that's what he was doing but he had this tool, putting his hand under the deck

He said the blades turned fine (he spun them around by hand) and showed me that they were passing each other on the same level

It probably happens more often in certain areas because the grass grows better there (better soil and the bottom of a slope), although I have seen it throughout the yard

I don't think that the deck belt has been changed since i've owned it

How do you check if the blade brakes are fully releasing?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The mulching blades are brand new, Sears just installed them about 2 weeks ago I always run the engine about 3/4 of the throttle lever - I think it's a notched position? I believe that he said the deck was level - not sure if that's what he was doing but he had this tool, putting his hand under the deck He said the blades turned fine (he spun them around by hand) and showed me that they were passing each other on the same level It probably happens more often in certain areas because the grass grows better there (better soil and the bottom of a slope), although I have seen it throughout the yard I don't think that the deck belt has been changed since i've owned it How do you check if the blade brakes are fully releasing?

Always run at full throttle. If the choke is on the same lever then run in the top notch before choke.
If the blades spin easy then the brake is off/ok.