Courage 22 Start Problem after Mower is Hot

tedantal

Threads
I wonder why the starter doesn't engage only when the mower is hot though? If it sets for a week, fires right up. That's why I'm thinking its temperature related. Thanks

tedantal

Threads
Mowed for about an hour and turned the mower off. Waited for a few seconds and turned the key to start. First key turn resulted in just a "click" sound. Second turn of the key resulted in a strong, normal start. I'm just gonna live with it, I guess.

Battery checked out at 12.7 volts with a "dip" to 10+ volts when cranking. Then battery recovered to 13+ volts while running.

tedantal

Threads
Again, after about ten minutes of the engine running, I shut down for a few minutes. Turned the key to restart and just cick, click, click. Removed the engine cover thinking it would cool the engine quicker and waited ren minutes. Fired right up! Ah Ha, engine heat. Problem solved ... NOT!

Ran the engine with the cover off for about five minutes (I was spreading mulch) and then shut down again for about five minutes. Turned the key to restart ... click, click, click. Waited ten, fifteen minutes for the engine to cool further. Still just click, click, click. Jumped the mower battery from my car battery and it started right up. Mower battery still shows 12.7 volts with engine off and drops to about 10 volts when clicking.

I'm thinking new battery.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
At this point if everything else checks out, i'd buy a battery.. if you go to a parts store (Like O'reilly's, Advance etc.) take the old battery with you and ask them to load test it, most places do it for free.

tedantal

Threads
At this point if everything else checks out, i'd buy a battery.. if you go to a parts store (Like O'reilly's, Advance etc.) take the old battery with you and ask them to load test it, most places do it for free.
OK, there's an O'Reilly's in town. I'll post back with the results.

BTW, I forgot to mention that after jump starting, I shut down for the day and tried to restart ... no go. I then put a trickle charger on overnight and it started right up, but it always starts up when the engine is cold. That's what I don't understand.

tedantal

Threads
I have not had the battery CCA checked. Now it's having a hard time starting (click, click, click) even when cold. MOF the other day it wouldn't start for many clicks and I didn't think it would start at all. Then I rocked the mower while seated on it and it started right up and ran fine for over an hour. (ground?) That was a week ago and I haven't tried starting it since.
The built in battery meter showed 13.4 volts between "clicks" while I was trying to start it. I also fabricated a sheet metal heat shield and placed it between the starter motor and the block in case it was heat causing the problem.