counterweight knocking? 31H777-0210-E1

oldntired55

Threads
so, does anyone know the measurement specs on counterweight groove, and the rib it rides on??? i have .005 clearance... when i move it side to side it 'knocks'

Forest#2

Threads
so, does anyone know the measurement specs on counterweight groove, and the rib it rides on??? i have .005 clearance... when i move it side to side it 'knocks'
I do not have any specs. I seen the same thing on my knocking briggs. (counterbalance raised groove surface weat at the sump end)
What you mention is what I also seen on my engine that I mention in post #6 and 9. I could see some wear on the counterweight raised groove on the sump. I installed a counterweight from another engine that had bad crank My engine had .030 crankshaft end play using the sump gasket. I shimmed the crankshaft at the sump end to reduce the end play to .005. It slightly changed the tone of the knock.
I'm thinking I should have shimmed the flywheel end of the crankshaft so as to reduce the counterweight clearance at the sump end at the raised groove.
I just set the engine back for maybe sometime later. I thought about just removing the counterbalance and trying the engine at low idle and see if it still knocked or maybe another sump from a salvage engine. I could also see where the counterbalance has been banging on the raised aluminum groove. I just recently had a donor engine come to me non-running so I now maybe have some donor parts to try and take two and make one or have parts to sub.
It will be few months or cooler weather before I get back into this one.
Keep us informed as the what you try?

oldntired55

Threads
I do not have any specs. I seen the same thing on my knocking briggs. (counterbalance raised groove surface weat at the sump end)
What you mention is what I also seen on my engine that I mention in post #6 and 9. I could see some wear on the counterweight raised groove on the sump. I installed a counterweight from another engine that had bad crank My engine had .030 crankshaft end play using the sump gasket. I shimmed the crankshaft at the sump end to reduce the end play to .005. It slightly changed the tone of the knock.
I'm thinking I should have shimmed the flywheel end of the crankshaft so as to reduce the counterweight clearance at the sump end at the raised groove.
I just set the engine back for maybe sometime later. I thought about just removing the counterbalance and trying the engine at low idle and see if it still knocked or maybe another sump from a salvage engine. I could also see where the counterbalance has been banging on the raised aluminum groove. I just recently had a donor engine come to me non-running so I now maybe have some donor parts to try and take two and make one or have parts to sub.
It will be few months or cooler weather before I get back into this one.
Keep us informed as the what you try?
yesterday i was between jobs in my shop, i remembered quite a few times using a centerpunch to raise metal for a closer fit.so i put several marks on the edges of the sump. where the weight rides... the counterweight fits alot more snug on the sump. i know it will not be a permanent solution, was just trying to make it tighter. i may do the same inside the counterweight links, as they are at their size limit... so i really cant be sure where the 'knock" was... but im thinking it was the weight rattling... it was quite noticeable.. more later

Last edited:

oldntired55

Threads
yesterday i was between jobs in my shop, i remembered quite a few times using a centerpunch to raise metal for a closer fit.so i put several marks on the edges of the sump. where the weight rides... the counterweight fits alot more snug on the sump. i know it will not be a permanent solution, was just trying to make it tighter. i may do the same inside the counterweight links, as they are at their size limit... so i really cant be sure where the 'knock" was... but im thinking it was the weight rattling... it was quite noticeable.. more later
another thought, i wonder, with all the yrs Briggs has been using plastic internal parts... couldn't they have designed a replaceable nylon sleeve for the counterweight??

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The unworn sump guide is .248-.250". Don't have the counter weight currently available to measure the groove.

oldntired55

Threads
The unworn sump guide is .248-.250". Don't have the counter weight currently available to measure the groove.
i need to go measure the sump guide again..im thinking it was on the .248 side..

Auto Doc's

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have seen worn electric PTO clutches produce a knock at low RPM.... if this has an electric PTO