Converting Self-Propel to Push, as simple as it seems?

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
  • / Converting Self-Propel to Push, as simple as it seems?
Folks,
I am wanting to aquire an older Snapper HIVAC for a renovation project. Once I have the mower I am planning to remove the self-propel to make it a push mower. Is this as simple as it sounds? Just remove drive train, lever, cable, etc(anything related to the propel feature) so it will operate as a push mower. I will replace the engine with a new honda as well with the mechanical throttle.

thanks for your help/advice! I will of course post the project with plenty of pics once it's going :thumbsup:

Berniebac

Threads
I was hoping someone would respond to your inquiry because I would like to do the same thing. I curb picked a new to me mower yesterday and discovered the engine is seized. So, I would like to pull it off and replace it with an old 3.5 hp Briggs I have laying around. I guess we will have to go ahead and try and see what we can come up with. Good luck with yours.

I think my first problem will be the existing motor is a 6.5 hp Tecumseh and I want to replace it with the Briggs. Holes in the deck will probably not line up.

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
Yeah sharing results will be educating.

I'm more concerned right now with the shaft dimensions and blade assembly.

I found exactly what I'm looking for, an 80's era Snapper hi-vac without a motor. I'm wanting to put a Honda GCV190 engine with shaft 25mm x 3-5/32" on it but I don't know the shaft dimension of the old engine of the snapper and it has no blade assemebly. I know 21" blade length was pretty standard on those models but I want to know how I can tell what size shaft and then if/where I can buy blade assemebly that will fit it.

Or if that honda engine will work with an adapter if it doesn't fit?

Any help would be appreciated folks!

thanks

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
I think the only thing that would cause the self-propel to push conversion is if the rear axle isn't one straight piece. Like if removing housing of the propel would cause the axle not to align right or something.

I may be overthinking this but I've never tried and never had a self propel so I don't know what's in them

Snapperfreak

Threads
Berniebac you should be fine with the holes in your deck lining up on your old briggs motor. I've had briggs, WRs, Tecumseh and Honda on my old decks and they all have lined up. A 25mm blade adapter is all that's needed I believe on the honda for the snapper blade adapter. Removing the handlebar controls and I'd say just the belt going from the shaft to the drive disc, no need to completely remove everything back there to make it a push, it'll all just free-wheel without the belt connected to it. Pictures when you're done guys!

Berniebac

Threads
Snapperfreak - thanks for that input. Makes it a little easier if the holes for different motors simply line up. I hope it works out that way. I thought I read that somewhere on the Forum where different makes would line up but can't really recall for sure.

Here are a few pics of what I am starting with. This is a Craftsmen 21 inch self propelled, powered by a 6.75 HP Tecumseh. I think I had said 6.5 HP above but I have cross referenced the Craftsmen numbers to the Tecumseh numbers and get a 6.75 HP motor. Regardless it is toast. I checked the oil and noticed it was not even registering on the dipstick. So I pulled the spark plug, stuck a screw driver in the plug hole and rotated the engine by hand. The screw driver did not move in and out so I believe the piston is seized and the connecting rod is broken. There is also a head bolt missing, oil everywhere all over this engine. Looks like carb linkage is missing and the pull start has the cord ripped out. Not much to salvage here. Maybe the carb body but I am interested in the deck, wheels, and handle at this point.

So I will pull the engine and toss it and replace it with a very old 3.5 Briggs. Now I am not trying to resell this thing so don't think I am trying to pull a fast one. If this works out, it will be going to my cottage to be my mower there.

Don't know when I will get to pull the engine, but will update from time to time if you are interested.

OutdoorEnvy, do you mind if I continue to post within your thread, or would you prefer I started my own thread. I kinda feel like I am hijacking your original post.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 25
  • lhs.jpg
    lhs.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 17
  • RHS.jpg
    RHS.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 24

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
Post away Berniebac! This thread was to gather info and educate so I believe any project would help in that regard.

Today I'm hoping to be able to pick up the old Snapper Hivac. Fingers crossed it works out. I'll post some of the project here too.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Umm easy fix here. Remove belt, pull wheels off remove gear that drives wheel, replace with spacer or washers if necessary for wheel camber. Replace wheels walla

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
Alright I picked up the old Hivac without engine. Looks like the model is 21401? It's kind of faded but I think that's it. Last number might be a 7 if it's not a 1. The serial number is 34103241 but I can't find anything online that list info by serial number. Looks to be 80's era from others I have seen. Anyways, the deck, handle and bag was in good shape. I'm not familar with these but it's a good thing I'm planning for this to be a push mower cause not all the propel gear is there from the looks of it. It did have two rear axles and wheel sets though. This should be easy enough to restore and make into a nice push mower. I'll post a thread up on the project once it's done. I'm thinking of seeing if my B&S 675 series engine will fit this though to get it moving faster. Eventually I want to put a Honda GCV190 engine on it. Well here is what I picked up. Now I got to get to work on it :thumbsup:

WP_20150505_005.jpg

Snapperfreak

Threads
Nice. Yes the model would be a 21401P, based on the s/n it's a 1983, although looking at it I wonder if that 3 is an 8, looks like an '88 based on the handlebar brackets by the deck. Either way looks like a good mower for a re-power!