Common Reasons Why Your Weed Eater Won’t Start

CharlieTR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine, a Weed Eater Briggs Quatro, won't start (even when warmed up) unless I hit it with ether. Then it runs great.
Suggestions, please!

g-man57

Threads
I looked up this model engine - it says this: "Prime 'N Pull Easy Starting System ™ pumps the right amount of gas to carburetor for easy one-pull starts". Prime 'n Pull.

I have an old Weed Eater lawn mower with a 4.5hp Techumseh engine. It has a primer bulb - is that what "Prime 'N Pull" is referring too? Mine was very difficult to start - either... I finally tracked it down to a small hole in the primer bulb. This effectively negated the choke. Trying to start a cold engine with no choke. I replaced the primer bulb and Voila.

While was trying to find the issue, I could get the mower to start with about 20 primer pushes. And i could keep it running by holding in the primer bulb (allowing the choke to function). Good luck man.

CharlieTR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, g-man! Will give it a try.

Auto Doc's

Threads
Defective spark plug? Restricted carburetor? Clogged fuel filter? Defective recoil starter?

Need more suggestions please!
In my area very few people buy the expensive pre-mix or special oil, they prefer to mix their own. Usually, it is "by eye" and if they see light smoke, they figure it is good enough.

I run across carbon choked mufflers with and without exit screens or spark arrestors quite often.

Usually, I pull the muffler off and heat it a light red hot with a torch. Some will actually begin burning the carbon trapped inside. After it cools a little, I tap it really well on a vice or large hammer head and shake out the loose deposits. Bolt it back up and the machine starts like it should.

If exhaust cannot get out of a two stroke, enough air cannot get in the carburetor to mix with the fuel. Timing and compression can be great, but a choked muffler will keep them from starting and running.

Telesis

Threads
This info assumes you have a 2 cycle! Your mileage may vary!

In my experience, check that the tank filter is not plugged. Make sure the fuel lines are not rotten and that the tank filter is still attached to the line in the tank. Pull the carb and buy a diaphragm/gasket kit(usually under $10) and replace. Don't think twice about re-using the old ones. Make sure you take note that the pump diaphragm(the thin one that has the two little check valve flaps) goes against the carb body and then the gasket, while on the other side, the gasket goes against the body and the rubber one with the metal disk sits on top of the gasket. Make sure the purge bulb is not cracked. Check that it's working. Remember, it's not a primer. See that it's sucking fuel up into the bulb and pushing it back into the tank. When you check the spark arrestor screen, take the time to pull the muffler and examine the exhaust port of the cylinder. That too can be full of built up carbon. I'd replace the plug and check for spark. Harbor Freight inline testers are under $10 and work fine. Lacking that, a pinch of starter fluid can tell you if have spark. If you are still no joy, I'd put a compression tester on it. I wouldn't be happy w anything under 90psi but I prefer 100+. Known good properly mixed, fresh gas goes without saying. I have to go to a marina for ethanol free so I'll use premium mixed 50:1 with synthetic oil(Echo in my case). Run it in every 2 cycle I own.

Good luck!