Export thread

Common Reasons Why Your Weed Eater Won’t Start

H

Hipa Jeremy

Defective spark plug? Restricted carburetor? Clogged fuel filter? Defective recoil starter?

Need more suggestions please!

StarTech

StarTech

Two of most common ones here are carburetors problems and straight gassing.

S

slomo

Old dead fuel and water in the gas.

B

bertsmobile1

Around 2/3 are carb problems and of them another 2/3 are gummed up from old fuel .
The other 1/3 are nearly all bad tank vents / caps

R

RayMcD

Defective spark plug? Restricted carburetor? Clogged fuel filter? Defective recoil starter?

Need more suggestions please!
Plugged up muffler...

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Plugged up muffler...
dirt dauber nests in the muffler.

StarTech

StarTech

Around 2/3 are carb problems and of them another 2/3 are gummed up from old fuel .
The other 1/3 are nearly all bad tank vents / caps
Just doesn't add up right too me...Maybe new math that i don't understand. I come up with 5/3 thirds (1-2/3).

Either way can't fix them when you can't get the needed parts. I had to kill three Poulans today due being able to get the needed parts. Something changed at Husqvarna as the saws I was able to repair just two years ago are now unrepairable as they are NLA a lot of the parts. Today was a crankcase, fuel/oil caps, and chain brake assembly.

One with the crankcase is where someone tighten down the bar so much it screwed up the bar mount. One missing both caps. And the other again need a chain brake where tighten down with bar adjuster out of place.

We are back to the throwaway attitude of OEMs

B

bertsmobile1

2/3 of 2/3 is 4/9
2/3 + 1/3 =1
OR it used to back when I went to school

StarTech

StarTech

So your saying 2/3 of the carbs that were bad that 2/3's of them. Sorry mis-read the formula. Kinda makes sense now. Here is more the other way around; 3/4 of 2/3 carbs are stiff diaphragms. Now if it was larger small engine carbs then it would be that clogging.

Just got to stop taking those prescribe mind alternating drugs; I think...

G

g-man57

I have an old WE aluminum deck push mower that I use for trimming. Very light - runs great. It has a 4.5hp Tecumseh engine. It was hard to start too. If I gave it a shot of starting fluid it would start and then run good. And, as long as the engine was warm it would start again and again. But cold? No.

One day I gave it about 20 primer 'pushes' and it started. It then died. So I primed it again and kept pushing the primer button and it kept running. Any guesses???

The primer bulb had a pin hole in it. So the carb was sucking cold air - essentially opening the choke. I ordered some new buttons - cheap. Installed one and it now starts great!

C

CharlieTR

Mine, a Weed Eater Briggs Quatro, won't start (even when warmed up) unless I hit it with ether. Then it runs great.
Suggestions, please!

G

g-man57

I looked up this model engine - it says this: "Prime 'N Pull Easy Starting System ™ pumps the right amount of gas to carburetor for easy one-pull starts". Prime 'n Pull.

I have an old Weed Eater lawn mower with a 4.5hp Techumseh engine. It has a primer bulb - is that what "Prime 'N Pull" is referring too? Mine was very difficult to start - either... I finally tracked it down to a small hole in the primer bulb. This effectively negated the choke. Trying to start a cold engine with no choke. I replaced the primer bulb and Voila.

While was trying to find the issue, I could get the mower to start with about 20 primer pushes. And i could keep it running by holding in the primer bulb (allowing the choke to function). Good luck man.

C

CharlieTR

Thanks, g-man! Will give it a try.