Common oil leaks on small briggs and straton engines?

JoeNoble

Active Member
I have a B&S 28N707 and I know the valve cover gasket is leaking but I'm thinkin it may be leaking from somewhere else as well.
 
I have a B&S 28N707 and I know the valve cover gasket is leaking but I'm thinkin it may be leaking from somewhere else as well.

Repair the valve cover oil leak first, repair one leak at a time. them power clean the mower and look for the second leak. check crank shaft seals, case gaskets , pluged vents???
 
I have a B&S 28N707 and I know the valve cover gasket is leaking but I'm thinkin it may be leaking from somewhere else as well.

Common leak on a model 28 is bottom dipstick seal.
Slacken screw and push dipstick down and tighten screw or replace seal.
 
Yeah the top and bottom dip stick seals were the first ones I replaced and my crank seal doesn't seem to be leaking. I replaced the valve cover gasket yesterday and mowed today and that seems to have fixed the problem. I was surprised at how loose the bolts were.
 
Yeah the top and bottom dip stick seals were the first ones I replaced and my crank seal doesn't seem to be leaking. I replaced the valve cover gasket yesterday and mowed today and that seems to have fixed the problem. I was surprised at how loose the bolts were.

This is why I say repair one leak at a time and then clean it. Oil just seems to travel and it looks like you have more then one leak. Good repair:wink:
 
Back
Top