Common Mistakes Made By Amateur Repair People

4getgto

Threads
I'm not in the business anymore but never ever let the customer tell you that it's probably something simple and easy to fix..?

I could never understand if it was so simple WHY did you bring it here...??

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Flywheels and/or clutches, their removal and installation.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Carb linkage wrong
Govenor out of adjustment
Wiring just f'ed up
Gaskets missing or incorrectly installed
2 stroke fuel lines on wrong
Wrong part
Wrong belt
Wrong spark plug
Stripped fastners
Switches bypassed wrong
Electrical tape on wire connections
Parts on backwards
Like others have said. Most folks can't troubleshoot problems logically and just guess and change parts. I usually spend more time figuring out what they did than fixing the problem.
What the heck...

have you been watching me!!?!?!?!??!
? ?

Mower King

Threads
About a month ago, a guy brought in a zero turn mower in that he bought from us, and had it 2 weeks. It had quit running in the middle of his mow, and this guy was pissed off about it. He had to get help to push it on the trailer to bring it to us. He was so pissed off and mad about it that I just let him and his sidekick push it off the trailer in the back lot. A day later when I looked at it, it was just out of gas. Being a business, you can't tell someone how stupid they are but...I didn't need too, he knew it and was calm when he picked it up!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
About a month ago, a guy brought in a zero turn mower in that he bought from us, and had it 2 weeks. It had quit running in the middle of his mow, and this guy was pissed off about it. He had to get help to push it on the trailer to bring it to us. He was so pissed off and mad about it that I just let him and his sidekick push it off the trailer in the back lot. A day later when I looked at it, it was just out of gas. Being a business, you can't tell someone how stupid they are but...I didn't need too, he knew it and was calm when he picked it up!
Diagnostics code on the invoice is Operator Headspace and Timing.

4getgto

Threads
Should of gave him an hour minimum charge and seen how his temper stayed..?

Mower King

Threads
Should of gave him an hour minimum charge and seen how his temper stayed..?
Probably would've had to call the cops...I try to NOT, escalate problems if at all possible....people are on the very edge in todays society!

Its Me

Threads
I read the answers guess it is the same everywhere and those dumb asses keep breading, do a lot of repairs at home, fellow came with a Diesel riding mower, real nice, I said let's save you some money, don't lie to me and tell me what it did the last time you used it, he was pissed a Kubota, I said let get around that, I want an estimate, said tell me what is wrong and I will give you an estimate, finally he said you can have it, ok but let me get it running or see what is wrong we can go from there, he said no I going buy me a zero turn, bad boy, I thinking you really are stupid, after he left check the tank no Diesel, put some in fired right up, the next morning I see a drip, the fuel line was bad, changed it and called him, I said its 30 dollars, he said I don't want it, then he said It eats batteries, checked the ling to the starter, bare on the frame, got a nice 60" cut hydraulic lift deck, I love stupid people.