Common Mistakes Made By Amateur Repair People

seattlepioneer

Threads
So--- Pros:

What are the common mistakes made by amateur repair people?

keakar

Threads
im no pro but here would be my lessons learned through the years about repairing stuff

biggest mistakes are from assuming things rather then doing the full diagnostic to be sure and jumping all over the place trying things rather then do a test of one thing at a time before moving on. if you start throwing parts at it or messing with a bunch of things at once then you cant be sure which of the things you did made it better or worse

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also don't go disassembling things that you don't know how to put back together. Received a 5 hp briggs years ago in a cardboard box that had been totally taken apart including removing the piston and crankshaft. Had to reassemble the engine to determine what was wrong with it. After getting it back together with all new gaskets found that it didn't have fire to the plug. Cause of failure was faulty spark plug.

And lIke Keakar said doing the shotgun approach to parts replacement can actually cause you even more money than it should if the tech has to track down everything that you did to make sure you didn't mess something up.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carb linkage wrong
Govenor out of adjustment
Wiring just f'ed up
Gaskets missing or incorrectly installed
2 stroke fuel lines on wrong
Wrong part
Wrong belt
Wrong spark plug
Stripped fastners
Switches bypassed wrong
Electrical tape on wire connections
Parts on backwards
Like others have said. Most folks can't troubleshoot problems logically and just guess and change parts. I usually spend more time figuring out what they did than fixing the problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or like the time I received a riding mower in five large boxes. The original problem was it needed a drive belt. The DIYer didn't know how to get the belt out so took everything a part execpt the one thing he needed to remove. He bitch like heck that I only charged him $50 to put the whole thing back together after spending all day doing it. Keep complaining until I told I can always charge him the full labor time of 8 hrs @ $45 per hour. He shut up and left.

Here is one for the books. Blade on rotary push mower duct taped on. Customer just wanted me to balance the blade.

And like Hammer I have taken twice as long on equipment where someone else that had no idea of what were doing tried to fix a problem. I had one parts replacer spend nearly $300 trying to fix electrical when it was only a fifty cents terminal that was bad.

One piece of advice when trying something that is to multiple pictures as you take something apart. That way you can refer to them as you put it back together.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
DYI mechanics who fit into one of these molds.
1. I saw my uncle fix one of these a couple of years ago.
2. I don’t want to fix it right, I just want it to run.
3. I don’t listen to my wife when I need help.
4. The guy at the parts store doesn’t know what he’s talking about.
5. I refuse to admit I’m over my head.
6. I’m smarter than the mechanics around here.
7. Don’t tell what I’m doing wrong, tell me how to fix it.
8. I want to do it as cheap as possible, just get it running.
9. My pride won’t let me say, I think I screwed up.
I’ll stop there,

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
DYI mechanics who fit into one of these molds.
1. I saw my uncle fix one of these a couple of years ago.
2. I don’t want to fix it right, I just want it to run.
3. I don’t listen to my wife when I need help.
4. The guy at the parts store doesn’t know what he’s talking about.
5. I refuse to admit I’m over my head.
6. I’m smarter than the mechanics around here.
7. Don’t tell what I’m doing wrong, tell me how to fix it.
8. I want to do it as cheap as possible, just get it running.
9. My pride won’t let me say, I think I screwed up.
I’ll stop there,
What he said!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a guy bring me a tecumseh VH100 literally in a basket completely disassembled with a chunk broke out of the steel cam gear. WTF??? He said he and his father were trying to figure out why it wouldn't start and broke the cam taking the engine apart. He had bought a new cam and gasket set but forgot how to put it together. After i told him how much it would cost to put it together he asked if i just wanted it and the 36" Bunton walk behind it went on. So i got an older mower for free. Been using it like a mini bushhog for probably 15 years now.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Every year while teaching I would see a minimum of 5 basket cases brought in by students who had a family member disassemble the engine and got lost. They became one of my best teaching tools, because if a student could get it running, they understood how an engine works, plus what not to do in the future. Cost to the family member was just parts, so they were happy also. Before you ask, no we didn’t have 100% success, but I did see a lot of DYI mistakes.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When i was in 8th grade shop class the wood shop teacher (not a small engine mechanic) got a bunch of pushmower engines off old mowers from a local shop. I knew more about small engines than he did. He did some awesome wood projects but he really didn't know much about small engines. I was "that kid" relatives gave broken mechanical things to just so he could take them apart.