Command cv16s Not charging

Chris_feldk

Threads
Can I replace the crankshaft gear? I have worked on tons of Briggs and know you can but this is my first Kohler. Sorry if I sound dumb as I don’t have much experience and I’m only 18.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Can I replace the crankshaft gear? I have worked on tons of Briggs and know you can but this is my first Kohler. Sorry if I sound dumb as I don’t have much experience and I’m only 18.
Sadly no. It would require a complete crankshaft. It might wear in and quiet down. Or it might cause some teeth to break.

Chris_feldk

Threads
Sadly no. It would require a complete crankshaft. It might wear in and quiet down. Or it might cause some teeth to break.
Well that’s likely why this motor was sold. But I got it for 50$ and the tractor for free. And I don’t think it’s worth it to dump 175 in it for a new crank. So I guess I don’t have much to lose and will just run it the way it is. Or at about half throttle and see if it breaks in And gets better. But as for now I will put the motor back together and on. Thank you.

Chris_feldk

Threads
What is the spec number on this engine?
43526 let me just say I am dumb i was getting ready to rtv and noticed I can wiggle the counterbalance gear like a lot. I know the crankcase cover supports the upper half but it is a lot of play.

Chris_feldk

Threads
I put the counterbalance in the crankcase cover and it seemed a lot better. So maybe the part it rests in in the actual block is worn out?

Last edited:

Chris_feldk

Threads
I believe I just figured it out. So the play in the counter balance is so bad I can see what looks like marks all over the counterbalance shaft. And I can see a mark on the rod cap. So I believe the play is so bad that the rod is smacking the counterbalance. And the knock only appears at higher rpm’s and it gets worse the higher the rpm is. I could try and possibly get a new shaft or maybe try to do something sketchy and clearance it I’m not sure.

Chris_feldk

Threads
I believe I just figured it out. So the play in the counter balance is so bad I can see what looks like marks all over the counterbalance shaft. And I can see a mark on the rod cap. So I believe the play is so bad that the rod is smacking the counterbalance. And the knock only appears at higher rpm’s and it gets worse the higher the rpm is. I could try and possibly get a new shaft or maybe try to do something sketchy and clearance it I’m not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0557.jpeg
    IMG_0557.jpeg
    625.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0556.jpeg
    IMG_0556.jpeg
    787.5 KB · Views: 4

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I haven't been inside a CV single in a long time, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't the relationship between the balance shaft gear and the crankshaft gear keep the balance shaft from being able to move enough to contact the rod cap even if the balance shaft bearing surfaces were worn?

You seem to be pretty good and getting the engine in and out so as a test you could put it back together with the counterbalance shaft removed. Then run the engine and see if the noise it gone.

Chris_feldk

Threads
Yes you are right, also i did realize on the CV series the balance shaft is what drives the oil pump, so cant take that out unless i want to make the engine go kablooie. i can try possibly try getting a new balance shaft. but the yard is getting tall and i have no way of cutting it, i may order a new balance shaft and throw the engine back on for now to cut the grass then take it back off when i get the new one. it only takes me about a half hour to put the motor on and off.