Command cv16s Not charging

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I think I heard something like metal on metal in the first video as you were turning but have no idea what it could be. In the second video, I didn't hear anything that sounded like metal on metal, but I did hear what sounded like a bit of a muffled pop out of the muffler.

Chris_feldk

Threads
I think I heard something like metal on metal in the first video as you were turning but have no idea what it could be. In the second video, I didn't hear anything that sounded like metal on metal, but I did hear what sounded like a bit of a muffled pop out of the muffler.
Thanks for replying so quick I appreciate it! Yes it does sound like it’s metal on metal, I initially thought it was the motor bolts so i tightened them and added washers. And you were right it did pop out the exhaust in the second clip. I can try to get a better video. But I will check over a couple things again. It’s driving me crazy I don’t want to run it with that noise so when I cut the grass I have to run it at half throttle. Maybe I dropped a screw or something in the motor when the oil tube was off? I guess the motor is coming off. This is about the 4th time having to pull a motor on this tractor. lol it doesn’t end.

Last edited:

VegetiveSteam

Threads
For the most part the engine sounds like it's running good.

If you have an engine stethoscope that would be great. If not, this sometimes works. Take a screwdriver and put the tip against the block and put your ear against the hand you're holding the screwdriver with. See if you can tell that the noise is coming from inside the engine. If you can be sure it's coming from inside, I'd stop running it and be pulling the pan.

I assume it has some sort of stack pulley on the PTO side of the crankshaft. Maybe take it off and see if the noise is still there.

Chris_feldk

Threads
Thanks for replying so quick I appreciate it! Yes it does sound like it’s metal on metal, I initially thought it was the motor bolts so i tightened them and added washers. And you were right it did pop out the exhaust in the second clip. I can try to get a better video. But I will check over a couple things again. It’s driving me crazy I don’t want to run it with that noise so when I cut the grass I have to run it at half throttle. Or maybe it’s fine to run it like that? Not sure.
For the most part the engine sounds like it's running good.

If you have an engine stethoscope that would be great. If not, this sometimes works. Take a screwdriver and put the tip against the block and put your ear against the hand you're holding the screwdriver with. See if you can tell that the noise is coming from inside the engine. If you can be sure it's coming from inside, I'd stop running it and be pulling the pan.

I assume it has some sort of stack pulley on the PTO side of the crankshaft. Maybe take it off and see if the noise is still there.
Ok will try that that’s a good idea. Also if I think I forgot to mention I did pull the deck and pto off and the noise was still there. And I was underneath while it was running and the noise was coming from the front of the tractor from the engine.

Chris_feldk

Threads
i could hear the noise off the motor using a screwdriver and just decided to pull it because it’s pretty easy on this mower. I got the crankcase cover off and the first thing I saw was a date on the camshaft from 2011. Since someone was in here before me I made sure the counterbalance was in time. Cam was also in time. It look really clean and had zero sludge. There was a couple pieces of dirt but nothing metal or like a screw or anything. I guess I will throw it back together and I will run it without the drive pulley. ( I had to pull the motor to get a puller on the pulley) and be sure all bolts are tight.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Do you think the camshaft was replaced? If the camshaft was replaced, and not the crankshaft, that can cause noise almost like a rod knock due to the unmatched wear on the cam and crank gears.

Chris_feldk

Threads
i could hear the noise off the motor using a screwdriver and just decided to pull it because it’s pretty easy on this mower. I got the crankcase cover off and the first thing I saw was a date on the camshaft from 2011. Since someone was in here before me I made sure the counterbalance was in time. Cam was also in time. It look really clean and had zero sludge. There was a couple pieces of dirt but nothing metal or like a screw or anything. I guess I will throw it back together and I will run it without the drive pulley. ( I had to pull the motor to get a puller on the pulley) and be sure all bolts are tight.
Do you think the camshaft was replaced? If the camshaft was replaced, and not the crankshaft, that can cause noise almost like a rod knock due to the unmatched wear on the cam and crank gears.
That is very true it could be I will say the gears are really tight and I can’t see any play out of it when I move it with my hands but the camshaft gear does look very new and the teeth look sharp

Chris_feldk

Threads
I can actually see in the picture that’s top down the crank gear does look worse. You might have just figured it out that really could be it!

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpeg
    IMG_0546.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0545.jpeg
    IMG_0545.jpeg
    890 KB · Views: 2

Chris_feldk

Threads
I can also visibly see and feel that the crank gear is higher than the cam gear and I bet you are right it does look like a new cam

Attachments

• IMG_0549.jpeg
    IMG_0549.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 2

VegetiveSteam

Threads
There does appear to be wear on the crank gear and virtually none on the cam gear.