Coil testing

Bwells

Threads
I’m working on a Troy bilt weed eater tb575-ec four stroke with a no spark condition. The switch is good and not grounded. The coil from spark plug cap to ground on coil reads 2.2k ohms. I read it should be 2.5-5.0k ohms. Is mine bad or close enough? I cleaned the magnets on the flywheel and contacts on the coil and a new plug. Any idea where to go from here?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless the coil has points toss that Ω meter back in the drawer as the numbers are worthless
The coil has a hall effect trigger chip in it which is potted in and can not be repaired nor replaced
So apart for testing that the HT lead is good that is all the meter can do .
even then most HT leads can not be replaced
So it is a case of work or does not work & replace
The meaningful test is to remove the kill wire
No spark with kill wire removed = paper weight
Stop watching those You Tube heros what they expouse will rot your brain.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Think it's safe to put the meters down and do some real T-shootin'. Most coils you can remove the kill wire. Should fire all day if good. If yours doesn't spark with a real spark load tester, yours is bad.

Bwells

Threads
Update: I received a new coil and installed it and set the head space using a business card since a feeler gauge doesn’t work with the magnets. Disconnected the switch and still no spark. Did I get a bad coil or is there anything I can do short of pitching the thing in the trash?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you get it off Amazon or E-bay?

Was it an OEM Troy part?