Cheetah II Hydro Pump Drive Belt Failure

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Something doesn’t seem right to me. Four belt failures within 100 hours, even though the first dealer didn’t see a rust problem. I agree rust might cause this, but it can also be a cop out for poor diagnostics. I’m puzzled why the dealer is making it so easy for the manufacturer. Second, other is stored in the same container with no problems. Personally I would be contacting Scag and ask for a better explanation as to why they are denying you warranty. Make sure you have the claim number from the dealer who told you your claim was denied. He should have a claim number for you to reference. Wouldn’t be the first time a dealer didn’t want to go through the work to help the customer.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Something doesn’t seem right to me. Four belt failures within 100 hours, even though the first dealer didn’t see a rust problem. I agree rust might cause this, but it can also be a cop out for poor diagnostics. I’m puzzled why the dealer is making it so easy for the manufacturer. Second, other is stored in the same container with no problems. Personally I would be contacting Scag and ask for a better explanation as to why they are denying you warranty. Make sure you have the claim number from the dealer who told you your claim was denied. He should have a claim number for you to reference. Wouldn’t be the first time a dealer didn’t want to go through the work to help the customer.
Totally agree. I am not buying the rust story unless those pulleys are deep pitted with rust.

homer888

Threads
Hello Everyone. I purchased a new Cheetah II 72" with the Kaw EFI back in June of 2021 for residential use. I mow about 5 acres. In 2022, I had my first drive belt failure at about 30 hours. I put a new belt on and it lasted about 10 hours and failed again. I took it to the dealer for service and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I finished out the season. In 2023, I had two more drive belt failures and took the mower to a different dealer. They said my pulleys were out of alignment and they replaced tensioner bearings and adjusted tensioner height. The mower was at 89 hours. Now, 2024, first cut of the year, another belt failure at 101 hours. The belts are all wearing down width- wise to about half of a new one and the nubs are worn down on the inside. Sometimes they break or just too lose to work. I took the mower to the dealer who repaired it last and this is where it currently sits. The dealer called me and asked me if I store it in a barn with a dirt floor. I said no, I keep it in a 40 foot shipping container. He said "the pulleys look like it sat at the bottom of the ocean for 20 years and all the drive pulleys need replaced" for $1,300. My warranty is up in June but he said this wasn't covered. He was going to make some calls. I called SCAG and they were also going to make some calls and get pictures. I asked SCAG if the pulleys were plated to prevent corrosion. He told me the coating may have worn off because of the alignment issue. Now I wait. I kept my Kubota diesel zero turn in this container for 6 years without issue. push mowers, snow blower and the 46" Cub Cadet tractor from Home Depot I had to buy as a back up when the SCAG breaks down. I know containers sometimes sweat inside but I don't see corrosion on my other stuff I keep in there. Thanks for reading. I'm just really disgusted.
Bernie

homer888

Threads
I retired from making Scag.I would call R&D or Customer Service at the factory.Scag is made by MOM(Metal craft of Mayville) in Mayville Wi. 8 miles away they make the John Deere(Horicon Wi)

Shady oak

Threads
That’s crazy. I have and had 4 kubotas over the years, none with less than 1300 hrs at the time of this writing. Have never replaced a belt or a mower deck bearing in one of them. Taking out a belt in 30 hrs is not rust or humidity. It would seem that even some misalignment would not suffice?

ZO6ZOOM

Forum Newbie
Threads
That’s crazy. I have and had 4 kubotas over the years, none with less than 1300 hrs at the time of this writing. Have never replaced a belt or a mower deck bearing in one of them. Taking out a belt in 30 hrs is not rust or humidity. It would seem that even some misalignment would not suffice?
What's sad is I sold my 10 year old Kubota ZD326S for no reason other than I wanted a new mower and I wanted the SCAG Cheetah. The Kubota never broke down on me and ran like a tank.

ZO6ZOOM

Forum Newbie
Threads
I sent SCAG customer service an e-mail last Friday morning. Still waiting for a response.

ZO6ZOOM

Forum Newbie
Threads
I retired from making Scag.I would call R&D or Customer Service at the factory.Scag is made by MOM(Metal craft of Mayville) in Mayville Wi. 8 miles away they make the John Deere(Horicon Wi)
Thank You Homer. I called SCAG tech support a couple years ago when the second belt broke and he told me it may be a piece of twig or stone stuck in the pulley, but without seeing it he didn't know for sure. It seems I'm at the fate of the dealer and since I didn't buy it from them I'm sure they're not going to go above and beyond for me. I bought the mower from an Amish dealership, this was my first mistake. Nice people but if it involves more than a regular PM service forget it. They flat out told me they can't find anything wrong with it.

ZO6ZOOM

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just want to let everybody know that I just got a call from the dealer and they said SCAG was going to cover the total repair.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maybe a squeaky wheel does get greased. Which dealer gave you the call? Please let us know what repairs they are going to make and why.

Last edited: