Export thread

Checking noises but can't leave the seat !!!

O

OldDiyer

I was just wondering how people go about Keeping your tractor running when you are checking for problems if you can't leave the seat to keep safety switches in tacked ? The reason I'm asking is I am getting an odd noise from what sounds like belt or one of the pullies but can't tell for sure without being able to disingage attachment or get off the seat. This is on my blower attachment but could be any type of problems. Must be other people that have to do this alone and was wondering best way. Thanks

Fish

Fish

A cinder block in the seat works.

B

bertsmobile1

If your safety switches are working then you set the parking brake and get off the engine should stay running .
If you want to check the blades then yes a heavy weight on the seat works wonders
Older seat switches could be bypassed but because of the high numbers of idiots who followed instructions they saw brain dead morons posting on your tube then injured themselves or others most newer seat switches are tamper proof .
If you look at the plug and it has only 2 pins then they will either be open or closed when you sit on the seat , try them both ways'If your seat switch has 4 wires it can not be defeated and you have to pull the engine apart & remove the kill wires from the magneto.
You can run the engine a good 10 to 20 minutes without the blower housing if it is not being worked but after that it will need a good 1/2 hour to cool down .
But the less time without the blower housing off the better.
However leave it off so you remember to replace the wires before you use the mower.

bkeller500

bkeller500

using a heavy weight in the seat is no different then tampering with a safety switch.......very bad advice. Pull the deck off the mower and spin the pulleys by hand to see if any of them are binding, need lubrication or replacement. Follow the path of the deck belts and look for wear spots or rub spots. Check the tension springs. Be patient. If the deck seems to be OK, then run the tractor without the deck and see if the noise persists. Likewise with the unit off follow the belt pattern and look for rub or wear spots. Inspect the belts...is the wear on the outside or the inside? Think safety first.........

StarTech

StarTech

Your right about the dangers of moving parts. All it takes one instant of distraction to cause a major injury or death. These safety devices are there because it has happen in the past. It is same as why we need to jack stands whenever working underneath a machine no matter how well you trust the jacks.

I saved a customers hands once several years ago when he and his helper was loading a riding mower. The deck hung on the tailgate and when to lift it when I saw the blades moving. I grab and jerk him back just a split second before touching the deck which would cut his fingers off. I made his helper shut down the mower and we proceed to unjam the deck and finish unloading by hand.

S

slomo

A cinder block in the seat works.
Works to chop legs and arms off too.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

"Don't stick your fingers where you wouldn't stick your *u know what* "

StarTech

StarTech

Some people just will not listen to anything so why are even typing things.

Agree w / Bert, set park brake & engine will keep running.

StarTech

StarTech

Agree w / Bert, set park brake & engine will keep running.
It is important to know the exact mower involved as some will work as describe except when the PTO is engage getting off the seat will kill the engine even with the parking brake set. I have seen both system designs here in my shop.

O

OldDiyer

Thanks for the replies, I am almost sure I have the two-wire type switch as this is a 2002 LTX1000 Craftsman. Don't think I'll be checking on this today tho because it is only 4 above today. I'll check the switch with an om meter before a disconnect to make sure how it works. I'll agree the cinder block is not an option.The tractor is a Craftsman 917.272452 with the 21.5 HP Briggs 42" deck

StarTech

StarTech

It is a NC switch but simply unplugging it may not work as they probably used a connector with a shorting strip built in or at least the image of the current 532179720 harness shows one.

1641635013841.png

O

OldDiyer

If it is using the NC switch as you said can I use a jumper wire across the terminals to do my testing of belts or pulleys? I have an automotive repair back round so I am aware of working around moving belts and pulleys. Believe me in my past I have seen guys do many crazy things around moving parts. I am happy that my unit has the safety switches and don't have any reason to start bypassing any of them. I know that to keep it running the brake needs to be set but with the seat switch bypassed can I leave the attachment lever engaged for testing the snow blower? Thanks again !!

StarTech

StarTech

Nope you can not jumper the switch. A NC switch is a normally closed switch. It plunger has to be depressed to become an open switch. The shorting strip in connector when unplugged would be the same as jumping switch and the same as if you are not on the seat which would kill the engine if the PTO is engage or the brake/clutch is off [up].

Now when seat is properly bypassed then yes with the parking brake/clutch set you leave the PTO engage and thing will stay running.

B

Bellcrank

Some people just will not listen to anything so why are even typing things.
I was just wondering how people go about Keeping your tractor running when you are checking for problems if you can't leave the seat to keep safety switches in tacked ? The reason I'm asking is I am getting an odd noise from what sounds like belt or one of the pullies but can't tell for sure without being able to disingage attachment or get off the seat. This is on my blower attachment but could be any type of problems. Must be other people that have to do this alone and was wondering best way. Thanks
Good diagnosis start with a complete visual inspection. Engine off. Interesting what ya find. Remove belts to check for noisy or worn pulley bearing. Ya usually find the problem and other potential problems as well.

Sam857us

Sam857us

The easiest, and safest way to do this, is to remove the main danger and a source of noise to help you find the issue. Remove the blades, and have another person on the seat, with their hand on the deactivation switch or lever, ready to disengage at the least sign of a hazard.

B

Bellcrank

Cusser

Cusser

Yesterday, I thought it would be a good idea to use a piece of steel wool on the bare rotating shaft of a vacuum cleaner motor, to clean off residue from a burnt/broken belt. The shaft grabbed the steel wool pad instantly, I was lucky to only bang up a finger. I ended up using cloth sandpaper and cleaning off that shaft manually, with the vacuum cleaner off. Lesson learned, was NOT a good idea...

bkeller500

bkeller500

Yesterday, I thought it would be a good idea to use a piece of steel wool on the bare rotating shaft of a vacuum cleaner motor, to clean off residue from a burnt/broken belt. The shaft grabbed the steel wool pad instantly, I was lucky to only bang up a finger. I ended up using cloth sandpaper and cleaning off that shaft manually, with the vacuum cleaner off. Lesson learned, was NOT a good idea...
Good lesson learned. We have all been there. Just imagine the horror if one slipped as he leaned closer to a moving belt and got a shirt or jacket sleeve caught or even a hand or fingers pinched. I'm sure there are Pro's on this forum that have enough experience to run the machine and investigate at the same time but I bet most everyone of them have had a close call or two or an experience they regret.

StarTech

StarTech

It one reason I refuse to wear a tie. I save my service manager one time where his got caught in the in feed section of a copier. Nearly choke him to death before I cut off the tie. Every since he wear a clip on version.

Also the forms bursters I worked had 8lbs between the rollers. Just think flat your hand or fingers be if got caught between them running at 500 fpm. And that was just the in feed side the out feed ran at twice that speed. NO wonder it was mandatory for me to write up the customer when I found the safety covers removed.

Long, long ago in the late 60's, I worked in a machine shop evenings thru high school. I had long sleeves on (which was a no-no), running a milling machine, slow speed. In a flash my sleeve got caught & was pulling me in, I was fortunate enough to hit the OFF button..

Somethings one never forgets.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I worked in a machine shop evenings thru high school. I had long sleeves on (which was a no-no), running a milling machine, slow speed. In a flash my sleeve got caught & was pulling me in, I was fortunate enough to hit the OFF button..

Somethings one never forgets.
and I thought getting my T-shirt caught in the wirebrush on my cordless drill was scary.

Fish

Fish

So a cinder block in the seat is terrible, but bypassing the switch is fine?

It is real early, and I may not be reading this correctly....

StarTech

StarTech

Fish, your just getting old...You know youngings do a lot dumb things like not listening to us oldies that have more experience.

It sorta like paying better attention. I once had my steel band welded and had to have it cut off. I got lucky to only get a severe burn. Yes things like loose clothing and long sleeves can get us in a lot of hurt. Even the best of us do have slip ups even when paying very close attention to things. Lucky safety features prevent a lot of these accidents.

Something I never have understood. Why does someone jumps out of a perfectly good aircraft? Just because it can done is it 100% safe?

When equipment comes in my shop with bypassed safeties they their function gets restored and noted in the customer file. Things like spindle and anti sail covers get replaced when missing.

Before someone say it. Yes I know users don't like being told what to do but I rather it least protect myself. It sorta like the current Covid vaccine where about 40+% of population rather take a fair chance of dying from it. I got my opinion of these folks but I will keep it to myself. For me I tended to avoid crowds in the first place but now even more. It is a lot less trouble in general.

Cusser

Cusser

A gal at work in the pilot manufacturing facility got her hair caught in a fan; she was lucky to have been unharmed.

peteco

peteco

Don't do it alone. Seat another person in the seat, he can see you when you inspect and can help with the danger. Keep distance to moving parts.

bkeller500

bkeller500

Caution.......if it is making a screech, or squeal, then something could be about to snap! Broken parts could go flying.

Safety glasses & caution should be excersized.

B

Bellcrank

Ya know who you are.

Attachments

crawlcats

crawlcats

Check out this post!