Checking noises but can't leave the seat !!!

OldDiyer

Threads
I was just wondering how people go about Keeping your tractor running when you are checking for problems if you can't leave the seat to keep safety switches in tacked ? The reason I'm asking is I am getting an odd noise from what sounds like belt or one of the pullies but can't tell for sure without being able to disingage attachment or get off the seat. This is on my blower attachment but could be any type of problems. Must be other people that have to do this alone and was wondering best way. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If your safety switches are working then you set the parking brake and get off the engine should stay running .
If you want to check the blades then yes a heavy weight on the seat works wonders
Older seat switches could be bypassed but because of the high numbers of idiots who followed instructions they saw brain dead morons posting on your tube then injured themselves or others most newer seat switches are tamper proof .
If you look at the plug and it has only 2 pins then they will either be open or closed when you sit on the seat , try them both ways'If your seat switch has 4 wires it can not be defeated and you have to pull the engine apart & remove the kill wires from the magneto.
You can run the engine a good 10 to 20 minutes without the blower housing if it is not being worked but after that it will need a good 1/2 hour to cool down .
But the less time without the blower housing off the better.
However leave it off so you remember to replace the wires before you use the mower.

bkeller500

Threads
using a heavy weight in the seat is no different then tampering with a safety switch.......very bad advice. Pull the deck off the mower and spin the pulleys by hand to see if any of them are binding, need lubrication or replacement. Follow the path of the deck belts and look for wear spots or rub spots. Check the tension springs. Be patient. If the deck seems to be OK, then run the tractor without the deck and see if the noise persists. Likewise with the unit off follow the belt pattern and look for rub or wear spots. Inspect the belts...is the wear on the outside or the inside? Think safety first.........

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Your right about the dangers of moving parts. All it takes one instant of distraction to cause a major injury or death. These safety devices are there because it has happen in the past. It is same as why we need to jack stands whenever working underneath a machine no matter how well you trust the jacks.

I saved a customers hands once several years ago when he and his helper was loading a riding mower. The deck hung on the tailgate and when to lift it when I saw the blades moving. I grab and jerk him back just a split second before touching the deck which would cut his fingers off. I made his helper shut down the mower and we proceed to unjam the deck and finish unloading by hand.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
"Don't stick your fingers where you wouldn't stick your *u know what* "

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Some people just will not listen to anything so why are even typing things.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree w / Bert, set park brake & engine will keep running.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Agree w / Bert, set park brake & engine will keep running.
It is important to know the exact mower involved as some will work as describe except when the PTO is engage getting off the seat will kill the engine even with the parking brake set. I have seen both system designs here in my shop.