cheap, good snow blower

HCBPH

Threads
I would stay away from single-stage blowers, especially in Connecticut.

If you never get more than a couple of inches at a time and it's not the wet, slushy stuff then I'd disagree. Reality is though if you get more than a couple of inches at a time, it can be the wet slushy stuff or you have to deal with a snowplow burying your drive or sidewalk, it's not going to do what you need. I have a single stage, had it for years and it was ok till last winter (that and a good snow shovel). We got dumped on several times and no way could a single stage do much more than look at it and laugh. I now have multiple 2 stage units (planning on selling some this fall), a 4 hp 20" with a 10" impeller handled 8-12" snowfalls without much effort as long as it wasn't the wet stuff. It moved the wet stuff as long as you kept it moving or the chute plugged immediately. The others handled wet slushy stuff pretty much the same, except the bigger the engine the more you could move before having to stop. 7 hp 14" impeller did ok with the wet stuff, handled snow up over the auger too, though I did have to back up once or twice to get it all. I have a 10 hp waiting in the wings to see what this year brings. If you get that kind of stuff, hold off for a 2 stage - it will do you much better in the long run.

RM88

Forum Newbie
Threads
As some have said before, it depends on how much snow you get. If you are looking to remove a foot of snow or less, this snow blower from Snapper gets the job done for $399.

If you are looking to remove more than foot, you will either have to pay a little more than $700 or forget it and move to Florida as the first gentleman suggested. :laughing:

motorrefurb

Threads
Find a non-working one on Craigslist, because the most common problem is a carb problem. They are easy to fix though, just spray some carb cleaner and adjust the fuel flow :biggrin:

Parkmower

Threads
motorrefurb said:
Find a non-working one on Craigslist, because the most common problem is a carb problem. They are easy to fix though, just spray some carb cleaner and adjust the fuel flow :biggrin:

This is true in the past month I've got 4 snowblowers for a total of $40. Not one ran. Bought the one I'm keeping a new fuel filter and sparkplug. The others just got a good cleaning, run like tops and goin back on CL for a min of $50 each

motorrefurb

Threads
Same thing with mowers, you can pick up and mower for close to free then fix it back to it's thousand-dollar self :biggrin:

Shuckapeafarms

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im looking to get a self propelled snowblower but they are all so expensive. I walk into Home Depot and they're all around $700! And Home Depot has crap! When I go into a Toro dealer they're around the same $700 price but I know they're better quallity, but still too much money. What is a good brand that makes a good snowblower that's CHEAPER than $700?

Yeap, I gave the snow up for Florida. It's easier to deal with a couple months of heat than all the snow and the heat bill! I have a Ariens 9HP/2 stage that's like the day I bought it with electric start. I used it two seasons for the sidewalk because the snow got so deep I couldn't shovel it over the snow banks. My son has it out in Montana but he plows with his truck and 4 wheeler. He starts it every now and then to keep it in good running order. It was give or take around $1000 new and I would take $500 for it-you either pick it up or pay the shipping which I don't think would be too bad freight. My son works for a freight company in Missoula so if you're in that area I'm sure he can get a good rate. There's also a couple websites for LTL ............can't remember the name but it's something like U-SHIP.COM or something. You can get things trucked pretty reasonable on there.
These things are like anything else, you get what you pay for or at least hope to. The no name brands at Walmart will be a nightmare-junk that breaks down everytime you use it and finding parts would be a nightmare as well. I would stick with Ariens or one of the top of the brand units. Ariens builds a heck of a snow blower. Mine will blow clear accross the street and my old John Deere which was 11 HP only blew half way accross.

earthworm

Threads
Im looking to get a self propelled snowblower but they are all so expensive. I walk into Home Depot and they're all around $700! And Home Depot has crap! When I go into a Toro dealer they're around the same $700 price but I know they're better quallity, but still too much money. What is a good brand that makes a good snowblower that's CHEAPER than $700?

I use a $1.95 snow shovel which I bought used 20 years ago.
Great exercise - vital for my health(high blood pressure and diabetes..
But, when I hit 90, I may have to use a plow..
If I am lucky, I may be able to buy one and affix it to my $200 MF garden tractor.
Note the prices... everything is used..
Auctions are great....
Florida - the land of hanging chads, I have lived there once or twice, which is enough.

earthworm

Threads
Having read the posts on this forum, and comparing them to those of 50-100 years ago......I'd say that our society is progressing.
Now, for me, even at age 72, I'll still use the old steel shovel and do the 150' of sidewalk by hand....I must, get the exercise, summer and winter, in order to control my diabetes.
Luckily, we do not average that much snow around here....knock on concrete...
Advice..
Remember, a $700 blower is a very lite duty unit; try a 5 year old heavy duty snow-blower if this will do the task without an overkill.
Better a used Mercedes than a new VW.....
Needless to say, this is one excellent forum.

Willyvon

Threads
I just got back in from my first use of the new snow blower, a Toro Power Curve 1800 corded model. The cord is a dictatorial bitch! It is easier to work woth than the Power Shovel I was given for Christmas 2 yrs ago though. I'm still convinced it's better than dealing with all of the mess and certain eventual serious hassle with starting a gas engine one. I still think the logical design is DC motor with removable per use lithium ion battery pack. It is unquestionably the way to go with small snow blowers. Note the recharge mowers for the battery technology see
Recharge Mower - Recharege Ultralite Push Mower
All I have to do is convince one of the companies to make one!
One problem would be the sealing of the battery compartment from the snow (water and electrical connections don't mix well) while still allowing easy removal. Mowing with my Neuton doesn't present this problem.