cheap, good snow blower

HCBPH

Threads
Cheap and Good are seldom used together.... but there are a LOT of good used snow blowers out there....

Timing, condition and your abilities are paramont here. I picked up several snowblowers last winter and spring for a very reasonable amount. I spent this spring and summer rebuilding them (5 of 6 are done with the 6th almost done). They have any worn or broken things fixed and some are better than new (ball bearings bs bushings in some cases).

If you can find something in your area, it should compare comparably to new, less plastic, usually better or thicker materials and will likely last as long as you'll ever want given reasonable care. If you can do alittle repairs or maintenance, you should be able to get something in your price range.

Good luck

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have looked at many used snowblowers on Ebay, many of them are good deals, the problem is that most of the sellers offer only local pickup, no shipping is available. Older 2 stage, mostly steel blowers should last forever, my '89 Craftsman probably has less than 50-60 running hours on it. I would be wary, though, of purchasing a used snowblower that wasn't a commonly known brand. Back about the time I purchased my '89 model. I had a chance to buy a nearly new Eska 5 hp 2 stage for $100 less than the new Craftsman model was. Well, how many of you have even heard of an Eska, much less seen one?

HCBPH

Threads
JD

Sounds like you have a snowblower now, so I assume you have some problem with it. Thing is, if it starts with a serial 536.918xxxx or 536.882xxx (which is the Murray built ones with the gear transmissions) it's probably one of the strongest built ones I've run into. Biggest problem I've run into with the 6 I have has been parts, or lack of Sears carrying them but even that's not a show stopper. I have found parts for vitually everything on units from 4 hp up to 10 hp with one exception: the 3/4" auger bushing on the smaller frame units (4 & 5 hp). Even that isn't insurmountable, I've found a bearing that will work in it's place but it's an open bearing so I'm not using that, still looking for a suitable replacement. The bigger ones (7-10 hp) I have not had an issue for anything I haven't either found the part for or been able to adapt something else to it. They have one issue I've seen with the bolt on the idler shaft on the bigger units coming loose and even that issue can be fixed rather easily as I've already done it on a couple.

I have a 7 HP that I converted to roller bearings on both the auger and axel, same with a 10 HP, done some transmission mods etc. I even swapped out a 26" two stage auger onto the 10 HP which was a 32" three stage, mainly because the bigger auger wouldn't fit through the garage door, so many parts interchange. All the Craftsman/Murray ones from that era had good cast iron engines, big impellars, thick metal and throw snow like there's no tomorrow. Even the 4 & 5 HP ones have 10" four vane impellars vs some of the newer ones that I've seen have 9" three vane impellars. Virtually everything is metal except for the belt cover and some of the auger and axel bushings and most of those have alternatives available.

I have one of the six units that's not in that model range, it's a 7 HP friction disc model snowblower. Even there where I needed bushings and Sears didn't carry them any more, I found suitable replacements that work well so options may be available.

Even if the motor is bad, the larger ones (7 hp and up) have single shaft motors and suitable replacements have been used my many people. The biggest issue there is those with twin shaft motors (4 & 5 HP Tecumseh's) in that though there may be suitable replacements, I haven't seen them so I can't speak to that. I did have one smaller one with motor problems and I found a parts machine that gave up it's long block to it, worked great. Like you say, most snowblowers are low hour units so there's little to go bad in a motor except for leaving stale gas in the carbs off season and not changing the oil regularly.

If this is your model range and you have some issue with it, post the facts and maybe someone can suggest a cure for you. Pictures wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, but I don't have a problem with mine (yet)...the only plastic part is the cover for the belts. Mine has the friction disc drive but zero problems with it yet, have only replaced the belts and a few carb bowl gaskets and plugs in its lifetime.

Appreciate your detailed information !!! May need to refer to it in the future.

jross

Threads
We have a 24" Ariens from H.D. ( A place I will no longer shop at for ethical reasons) and have run it hard for two years. You have to take care of it, especially using good oil and a fuel stabilizer. MTD makes most of em anyway, don't they?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have a 24" Ariens from H.D. ( A place I will no longer shop at for ethical reasons) and have run it hard for two years. You have to take care of it, especially using good oil and a fuel stabilizer. MTD makes most of em anyway, don't they?

Basically, from what I have seen, yes, MTD does.

HCBPH

Threads
Thanks, but I don't have a problem with mine (yet)...the only plastic part is the cover for the belts. Mine has the friction disc drive but zero problems with it yet, have only replaced the belts and a few carb bowl gaskets and plugs in its lifetime.

Appreciate your detailed information !!! May need to refer to it in the future.

Here's one you may want to file away in case you ever need it. If you ever need a friction disc and yours is a 6" diameter, here's something to look into. The one machine I have has a 6" disc and Sears no longer carries it. I've not found one on the market with the right size center hole (something like 2 1/2" IIRC). Happens though there is one for a Toro with a smaller center hole (around 1 1/2" IIRC) that looks very close otherwise, looks like the right diameter and width of rubber. I suspect if you chuck it onto a lathe and open the center hole, possibly have to drill new mounting holes too, that friction disc would work on the craftsman.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's one you may want to file away in case you ever need it. If you ever need a friction disc and yours is a 6" diameter, here's something to look into. The one machine I have has a 6" disc and Sears no longer carries it. I've not found one on the market with the right size center hole (something like 2 1/2" IIRC). Happens though there is one for a Toro with a smaller center hole (around 1 1/2" IIRC) that looks very close otherwise, looks like the right diameter and width of rubber. I suspect if you chuck it onto a lathe and open the center hole, possibly have to drill new mounting holes too, that friction disc would work on the craftsman.

Thanks for the tip, I may need it someday....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

crazyoldtractor

Threads
Thanks for all the input. I went on craigslist and found a 1 stage for $100. The guy says it runs good and blows good. It's a craftsman 2 stroke with electric start. I'm going to look at it this weekend.

panabiker

Threads
Thanks for all the input. I went on craigslist and found a 1 stage for $100. The guy says it runs good and blows good. It's a craftsman 2 stroke with electric start. I'm going to look at it this weekend.

I would stay away from single-stage blowers, especially in Connecticut.