Changing Oil on Bolens Push Mower

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Honda says tipping is the way to drain their push mower engines. I am guessing that may be the most likely reason they dont put bottom drain plugs on them.
These days, most push mower engines are Honda or clones. That's why most push mower engines do not have bottom drain plugs in them. See how that works?
But I doubt B&S agrees. The way a B&S sump is constructed, it visually appears it would tend to hold some oil. I use synthetic because everything else I own does.
If I may be allowed to belabor this expired equine further, can anyone show me a copy of a B&S manual that says pumping is the preferred way to change motor oil?
Have a Good Day!

View attachment 51833
Actually Briggs starting eliminating the bottom drain plug before Honda, and that was due to the fact that mower manufacturers were building decks that enclosed the bottom of the engine therefore you couldn't access the bottom drain plug if you wanted. And Briggs sells both the drill powered and the vacuum powered oil extraction systems.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Actually Briggs starting eliminating the bottom drain plug before Honda, and that was due to the fact that mower manufacturers were building decks that enclosed the bottom of the engine therefore you couldn't access the bottom drain plug if you wanted. And Briggs sells both the drill powered and the vacuum powered oil extraction systems.
I'll admit when I'm wrong - I did find a B&S manual that directs turning on the side, when warm, to drain the oil.
This shows tipping the motor forward to drain the oil!
Viva la difference!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Honda says tipping is the way to drain their push mower engines. I am guessing that may be the most likely reason they dont put bottom drain plugs on them.
These days, most push mower engines are Honda or clones. That's why most push mower engines do not have bottom drain plugs in them. See how that works?
But I doubt B&S agrees. The way a B&S sump is constructed, it visually appears it would tend to hold some oil. I use synthetic because everything else I own does.
If I may be allowed to belabor this expired equine further, can anyone show me a copy of a B&S manual that says pumping is the preferred way to change motor oil?
Have a Good Day!

View attachment 51833

Not worth argueing about
But walk into any mower shop and you will see a shelf full of genuine B & S engine maintenence kits complete with a Briggs & Stratton oil pump and a pair of disposable gloves .
As for the effectiveness os either method I doubt there would be much in it .
let us not forget we are talking about the most primative engines made today .
Tipping is cheap, difficult , involves heavy lifting ,inconvienant & prone to be messy if not done daily so you are well practiced.
Pumping is clean, require no lifting .
Choice is with the owner.