Changing blades

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I get my money out of every set of blades. I sharping my own and use them until the wings wear off

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

At this time we have 5 sets of blades for our 60" mower which is the one we run the most. We run blades until they are worn out on the wings as well. They cost too much to throw away if they are to worm out.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
At this time we have 5 sets of blades for our 60" mower which is the one we run the most. We run blades until they are worn out on the wings as well. They cost too much to throw away if they are to worm out.

I put mine in a pile until my wife starts getting on me about the mess then t take them to the scrap yard. Got $20 last time. Not really worth the time but I enjoy it

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have extra sets of blades, that's good. Having to change them daily is another matter. Stay away from cans, rocks and other hard things.

Also, when grinding the blades, take the minimum amount of stock off that you can, and don't sharpen them like you'll be shaving with them. They'll be sharp alright, but that super-sharp edge won't stand up to sticks and stones, and will dull quickly.

Staying away from stuff is real good in theory. However in the real world it is another matter. A couple of weeks ago I hit a piece of 1/2" rod that somebody had placed in the ground to tether a dog out at one Time or another. Yesterday I ran over a Master Lock that somebody had dropped. It is impossible to see stuff in grass when the grass is taller than it is.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Staying away from stuff is real good in theory. However in the real world it is another matter. A couple of weeks ago I hit a piece of 1/2" rod that somebody had placed in the ground to tether a dog out at one Time or another. Yesterday I ran over a Master Lock that somebody had dropped. It is impossible to see stuff in grass when the grass is taller than it is.

Last week got to a yard grass was about 10 inch tall After I started cutting I found out at one time there was a chain link fence and they cut all the post about 3 inch from the ground

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last week got to a yard grass was about 10 inch tall After I started cutting I found out at one time there was a chain link fence and they cut all the post about 3 inch from the ground

I found one of those last Summer. It was filled with cement. It was the corner post. None of the ret were there.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
We change the blades every other day for sharp ones, and run the ones taken off across the blade sharpener. We scrape the decks every night, as soon as, the mowers come off the trailers. I run Dixie Choppers and run 4 blades on a 3 spindle deck. We run the X blade set on the inner spindle for mulching and creating more air to discharge the clippings further. We've a few sets but all of my Dixie's run the same blades.

I just consider it a wear and tear item, and figure it in as an operating expense. I say run them through the grinder real quick. We're working to many hours to file blades. Which i think is a better technique but it just takes to much time.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I change blades every year and I sharpen twice a year. I sharpen on a machine twice a year and I then Sharpen 3 times a week with a little thingny (I forgot the name in english!) It is just a piece of metal with patterns on it. I pass it on my blade to keep it fresh and sharp for the day.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I change blades every year and I sharpen twice a year. I sharpen on a machine twice a year and I then Sharpen 3 times a week with a little thingny (I forgot the name in english!) It is just a piece of metal with patterns on it. I pass it on my blade to keep it fresh and sharp for the day.

It is a file. And is the best way to keep your blades sharp.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is a file. And is the best way to keep your blades sharp.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Thanks! Yes, it keeps them nice and sharp and it doesn't wear them off too much. How much time do you think my blades could last if I file them 3 times a week?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks! Yes, it keeps them nice and sharp and it doesn't wear them off too much. How much time do you think my blades could last if I file them 3 times a week?

As long as you don't get to the wing part of the blade