Change oil before or after winter ?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I recently read a Haynes manual that says to change the oil in a mower before storage, but some people say to do it at the start of the season.

Which one would you recommend ?

possum

Threads
It seems these days the in thing is to change it at the end of the season and put it away. Acids is the fear. The book says to do just that, and as far back as I can remember it always has. The folks who were old timers when I was young always said to change at the beginning of the season as moisture would develope in the oil over winter and one would be running that in the next season. I never worried about it much as long as the oil was not very dirty when I put it away. But mine were always shedded in a pretty dry place. I suppose to comply with warranty a person should change it like the book says. That being said my local dealer has a long line of mowers to service in the spring with oil changes and pretty much none in the late fall.

redfish9

Threads
I have a habit of changing oil more often than most people and the prove is in the pudding,three of my mowers are over 25 years old still producing plenty of compression,If your are that concerned about this drain your oil in the fall and refill it with cheap oil,come spring dump the oil and put the oil in you normaly use.This will keep it clean and remove the water problem

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Do it in the spring - just like mentioned here oils break down and do collect moisture . If you don't use a fuel shut off the oil can get gasoline it during gravity leakage from the carb .

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Do it in the spring - just like mentioned here oils break down and do collect moisture . If you don't use a fuel shut off the oil can get gasoline it during gravity leakage from the carb .
I hear what you're saying but I run my mower dry at the end of the season.

Last year I changed the oil at the end of the season and come the start of this season the oil was still golden and same viscosity as it was last year, so I think I'll do what both Haynes and Mountfield say to do - Change at the end of the season.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Very good . I change my oil a few times during the summer . 23 acres and a lot of DUST ...

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
change mine every 100 hrs. with a 50hr. filter change. waste of money if done any more then that with 100% synthetic Ams oil.

Parkmower

Threads
I always change it at beginning of season.