carburetor versus Electronic fuel injection, what is best?

RWlawnman

Threads
  • / carburetor versus Electronic fuel injection, what is best?
I purchased a mower today (Gravely) and talked with the dealer about which version to order. The model I wanted had 3 versions, one with a Kawasaki, one with Kohler, and another with Kohler with EFI. The Kawasaki & Kohler/EFI were the same price. She said the only one of the 3 they don't recommend was the Kohler/EFI. I asked why, and she said they are very expensive to repair, the others are easy and not expensive to fix. I guess it makes sense to keep with the tried and true. I didn't ask her if they've had many of the EFI models in to repair, but I presume they have seen some. The Scag dealer I talked to, who tried to sell me an EFI model, said they haven't had any in for repair. So maybe that's the difference, if they had to repair one, they wouldn't try to sell them. That's why I like the Gravely dealer, they are pretty straight up and probably more concerned with me as a customer down the line rather than what they can sell me right now. Not that the Scag dealer (in my area) is bad in any way, but I just feel like the Gravely dealer is more straight forward, personal, and willing to give an opinion, rather than just tell me how great everything they sell is.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And maybe last but not least, a carb is much more tolerant of lesser quality gas. That fuel injector demands super clean fuel or it's done for. How many average home owners are particular about their gas cans, and even refilling the tank on the mower as cleanly as possible? A fuel pump and filter are a big help but we've all seen what gets by that and the results of old gas in the spring time.

Mowergal

Threads
Interesting discussion... A year ago I bought a new Turf Tiger II with 61" deck. I was in a hurry as my old Scag needed repairs and it was late Spring and the grass was growing. The local dealer only had the 26 hp Kohler EFI on the lot. I was reluctant to have anything potentially more complicated than what I had, a 17-yr old Turf Tiger with Kohler carburetor. I never had a problem with it. Well, I went ahead with the EFI, and I have to say, it does get better gas mileage and starts easier, and it is nice not to have to fool with the choke and remember to turn it off after it gets running... But, now this discussion raises my concern about potential expensive repairs... As I originally thought possible.

On another note, the Turf Tiger II with 61" deck and larger, is now powered by Briggs & Stratton 31 hp and up carburetor engines... And the prices are about 20% higher too!

RWlawnman

Threads
Interesting discussion... A year ago I bought a new Turf Tiger II with 61" deck. I was in a hurry as my old Scag needed repairs and it was late Spring and the grass was growing. The local dealer only had the 26 hp Kohler EFI on the lot. I was reluctant to have anything potentially more complicated than what I had, a 17-yr old Turf Tiger with Kohler carburetor. I never had a problem with it. Well, I went ahead with the EFI, and I have to say, it does get better gas mileage and starts easier, and it is nice not to have to fool with the choke and remember to turn it off after it gets running... But, now this discussion raises my concern about potential expensive repairs... As I originally thought possible.

On another note, the Turf Tiger II with 61" deck and larger, is now powered by Briggs & Stratton 31 hp and up carburetor engines... And the prices are about 20% higher too!

I would expect you'll have a long time before that EFI gives you trouble, but as others have stated, be sure you don't use any old gas in it.

As for the new TTII with the B&S carbed engines, that's very interesting. Seems like B&S isn't that highly regarded in this type of equipment, I'm surprised Scag would put it in their flagship model, and that they got away form EFI on it is very interesting. Maybe B&S has done some improving to their engines to make them more competitive. That would be a good thing, I grew up with B&S as THE engine to have on your lawn mower. Of course, I'm talking about the little push mowers we used as kids.