Carburetor study with microscope plus Smarter Every Day video

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Carburetor study with microscope plus Smarter Every Day video
Even paper will wear stainless steel. I replaced enough paper guides over the years. Even the fuel can wear the jets over time.
Been there and done that. Amazing what 20 or 30 million sheets will do to metal parts that are supposed to never wear out.

We got the "best oil" thread
We got the "best sparkplug" thread
Now we got the "best way to clean a small hole in a piece of brass" thread

And to avoid controversy i will keep my method to myself. ?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
For carb jets, carb spray is for the varnish slash fuel deposit mess. Fishing line helps open the hole without enlarging. Zero chance of enlarging with nylon fishing line. You guys can use all the steel drill bits and torch tip files you like. Not on my oil burners.

slomo

Beamster

Threads
On a related topic, I had a brand new motorbike that sat on the dealer's floor with gas in it for over a year. As expected it had running issues when I got it. Try as they may, a more qualified dealer could not clean the carbs properly enough to resolve the issues but a set of new carbs (under warranty) made it new again. I learned that "poke, prod and spray" may never fix crudded up carbs.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
40kHz water is your friend.

Just had a black SUV drive past my house rwice.

Gord Baker

Threads
You are ALL crazy ! The jets on tiny carbs found on small engines are so finely tuned that any metal object will gouge the soft brass and make the engine run richer. Just because you get away with it doesn't mean it's not happening. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not happening.

If you must stick something in there, then use a soft wooden object, like a fat wooden toothpick designed for serving Hors d'Oeuvres. Like These.
Take your meds.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For carb jets, carb spray is for the varnish slash fuel deposit mess. Fishing line helps open the hole without enlarging. Zero chance of enlarging with nylon fishing line. You guys can use all the steel drill bits and torch tip files you like. Not on my oil burners.

slomo
40kHz water is your friend.

Just had a black SUV drive past my house rwice.
Well there are times they necessary no matter what you do. But most time the USC does the job. Either way no cleaning method is perfect. There are times it is a combination of them that is needed. Of if you just install a China Junk on the engine is it a good that one or more of the jets will need reworking. Just did one about a month ago where the idle jet was a couple sizes too small.

And Hammer see what you get by opening your big mouth. Here back in 70's and 80's Redstone communications would roll out there radio hunters trying to caught us guys operating out of band but we had our own spies watching for them. When we knew they was patrolling we go to the in between the legal channels to talk. Of course I wasnt supposed to have 135 am channels on the 40 am channel CB radio either.

enigma-2

Threads
I've used carburetor jet cleaning tools set for rodding out jets. Designed to clean jets without damaging them. Cheap as well.

smalltowntex

Threads
I always used "tip drills", use to get them at a good welding supply. Back in the day when you could clean a plugged up oxy/acet cutting tip with those drills they were handy then also.