Carb for older briggs engine

mark abby

Threads
20 years ago, bought a Poulan Pro riding mower, made by Electrolux. (PDGT26H48) It has a 26HP briggs V Twin.engine (446777-0244) I need to replace the carb on it. Briggs sells a carb for $135, but reading the reviews on amazon, many claim it's just an aftermarket carb (791230) Searching for a replacement, i find many with the same number but at prices from $25 on up and they all look the same. The original carb is a Nikki 693043 but it's no longer made. The reviews are all the same: from 5 stars to 1 star.

My question is they all claim they're for briggs engines 20HP and up. Does the same carb fit all those motors? And what is the best aftermarket carb I should look at? The mower is still in excellent shape and i don't want to get rid of it because i use it for trimming hard to get places.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs sells a carb for $135,
I would trust it if bought from Briggs directly.
The reviews are all the same: from 5 stars to 1 star.
Guy, the reviews are not trustworthy. Do some research.
but reading the reviews on amazon, many claim it's just an aftermarket carb (791230)
I would/do NOT trust anything off amazon. Reviews or their inflated prices over Epray.

There are many other places to shop BESIDES Amazon and Epray. They are about as bad as Facebook and Tweeter.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having said that, the Amazon carbs are a crap shoot. Some work and some don't. Good luck. I've had to do some tweaking on some to make work due to the real OEM Briggs carb no longer made.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being around 20 yrs old we need the date code as they went a carburetor change in October 2003.

And as the clones are a crap shoot.

Also most Nikki carbs are repairable, just have find someone that is not a hater of them. I do it all the time here. I even installed throttle and choke bushings to save $300+ JD Nikki carburetors.

mark abby

Threads
code is: 030425YG00077
maybe i should send it to you....:-0
i use this mower for trimming because i have mulch kit on it so it doesn't blow grass on mulch bed areas. I use my 60" cub cadet for everything else. That thing blows grass like 6 feet out!

I just searched the Briggs web site. They listed two carbs with numbers 791230....BUT, they are different! I had to look at what year each one of those would work with my engine. Unfortunately for me, I believe it's the more expensive one LOL. of course.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
An aftermarket carb with a makers name in the side of it will usually be good
an unbranded unnamed carb will usually be junk
reasoning is obvious.

mark abby

Threads
So i emailed them and asked the question why two listings. The guy told me there is only one listing for that carb 791230. But, one listing the the MSRP at 187 and the other listing is their price at 137. cool....got that straightened out. But they still show both pictures of that carb, which was kinda confusing. I wonder if they would have accepted a $187 payments and never say a word...

New carb or rebuild?

Last edited: