Carb Cleaning

Sentinel

Threads
Does anyone know any household substance that would do as a carb soak? I cannot get carb cleaner here on this tiny south pacific island I live on so I must improvise. Nor can I get an air filter. Anyway I can use something else as an air filter? Thanks.

Tinker Ty

Threads
As far as cleaning up carb, using Simple Green will do the trick. I've used it in a pinch. As far as filter, depends on what type of filter media the original is. Your best bet is OEM.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before I got the ultrasonic cleaner we used to boil carbs using a big pot & a dishwasher tablet
The ones with the ball in the middle seem to work better
A nice rolling boil works best
Give it an hour or so then boil some more water and take it out of the boiling soapy water then strait into the boiling rinse water
Give it a 5 minute rinse hen take out & blow dry.
Do not allow the carb to sit in the wash water unless it is boiling or it will oxadise.
Some like to do a pre-rinse in boiling water with some vinegar in it to neutralise the alkaline soap first.

Mower King

Threads
Does anyone know any household substance that would do as a carb soak? I cannot get carb cleaner here on this tiny south pacific island I live on so I must improvise. Nor can I get an air filter. Anyway I can use something else as an air filter? Thanks.
Simple Green or equivalent for a carb cleaner ...and foam rubber lightly oiled for an air filter

seattlepioneer

Threads
So what island are you on and what are you using your equipment for?

When I'm dreaming of being on a tiny south Pacific Island I don'r envision myself being behind a lawn mower......

Sentinel

Threads
So what island are you on and what are you using your equipment for?

When I'm dreaming of being on a tiny south Pacific Island I don'r envision myself being behind a lawn mower......
Ha Ha. Well, there's grass here too that needs cutting. I live on Camiguin Island near the big island of Mindanao. Not much here in the way of lawn and motor accessories so I have to McGyver most of the lawnmower stuff. Right now I'm waiting on carb springs from the States. My mower surges whenever it starts and keeps surging. I think that means I need to clean out the carb. I will experiment with the boiling idea that sounds likely to me to work. Thanks for the reply and have a great day.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yep, most likely a blockage in the carb... could be an air leak due to a failed gasket or cracked intake pipe. but most likely it is the carb that needs a bath time

Sentinel

Threads
Before I got the ultrasonic cleaner we used to boil carbs using a big pot & a dishwasher tablet
The ones with the ball in the middle seem to work better
A nice rolling boil works best
Give it an hour or so then boil some more water and take it out of the boiling soapy water then strait into the boiling rinse water
Give it a 5 minute rinse hen take out & blow dry.
Do not allow the carb to sit in the wash water unless it is boiling or it will oxadise.
Some like to do a pre-rinse in boiling water with some vinegar in it to neutralise the alkaline soap first.
I like that idea and will give it a try. I will have to use some other detergent though, can not get dishwasher tablets here. Thanks for the reply sounds good. Have a great day.

Sentinel

Threads
As far as cleaning up carb, using Simple Green will do the trick. I've used it in a pinch. As far as filter, depends on what type of filter media the original is. Your best bet is OEM.
Thanks.

Sentinel

Threads
Simple Green is weak. If you can get it use straight ammonia. Around here it's available all over and cheap.

Look for some dense foam for a filter. Pantyhose or anything to stop dirt.

slomo
Thanks