carb adjust tool for weed wacker

pkguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Where can I get a carb adjuster for a Craftsman convertable weed wacker. Sears is no help, supply houses say I need to be an official repair shop to buy one, everything I try to fabricate won't work. See photos. It is a hex head driver but they are recessed into a fortress-like bunker.
Thanks

Attachments

• 001 (599x800).jpg
    001 (599x800).jpg
    364 KB · Views: 42
  • 002 (599x800).jpg
    002 (599x800).jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 39

princeal

Threads
I was on Amazon.com last night looking for phototacometer and they had a set a carb tools for poulan and some other weedater.I think they were like 31.00 for two or three tools. You may just to jeck them out.:thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the adjustment tool is only avalable to authorized poulan dealers, FYI, possession of the tool by unauthorized personnel is a EPA violation and could result in severe fines if caught. the EPA does watch amazon and ebay for violaters that can result in fines up to $38,000 for the seller and the buyer. It is classified as tampering with an emissions control device, same as a catalytic converter on an car.

mullins87

Threads
Amazon has them. I picked one up last year for less than $10 after shipping.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there any doubt that government has gotten too intrusive?

You can't even buy a tool to adjust a trimmer under these rules. Absurd. :confused2:

pkguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the info. Sears will adjust it for $57 plus parts. The funny thing is, I live in Cleveland, Oh. and they would ship it to Pittsburgh for service. I can purchase a new one for $40 more than fixing this one.

I know this isn't the proper forum for a deep discussion, but how many different aspects of economics, EPA regulations, resource management, DIY American spirit of inginuity, etc, are encapsuled in the issue of an individual not being able to repair his own stuff?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you were closer to me I wouldn't charge anything close to that. If you go by the poulan flat rate time is 1/2 hour which would be $25.00 for me. any poulan dealer should have the tool to adjust your craftsman trimmer carb.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for all the info. Sears will adjust it for $57 plus parts. The funny thing is, I live in Cleveland, Oh. and they would ship it to Pittsburgh for service. I can purchase a new one for $40 more than fixing this one.

I know this isn't the proper forum for a deep discussion, but how many different aspects of economics, EPA regulations, resource management, DIY American spirit of inginuity, etc, are encapsuled in the issue of an individual not being able to repair his own stuff?

The economics of fixing vs replacing in your situation is probably typical. That means that, in many cases, people just buy a new trimmer (and ditch the old one) -- and that decision is driven by the barrier these regulations have placed on your ability to fix it yourself.

So lots of trimmers (and other types of highly regulated consumer products) end up being thrown out - :eek: - all in the name of environmental regulation.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It comes down to how much time a service center can put into a $69.00 weedeater at $60.00/ hour. I am limiting poulan weedeater repairs to carb replacement, spark plugs, and fuel lines. Anything above that exceeds replacement cost if not warranty. Air quality standards is what is fueling most of the customer can't repair there own equipment.