Can't find 30W oil anywhere in my area, or on line.

Back44L&G

Threads
  • / Can't find 30W oil anywhere in my area, or on line.
I'm looking for Castrol 30W oil and cannot find it anywhere, on-line or locally. I've checked AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot. So I decided to try for other brands, brands I recognize, not this cheap unknown stuff. The only straight 30W I can find is Super Tech but I have seen the independent wear test run on it and is ABSOLUTELY NOT as good as the nationally-recognized name brands.
There are two Super Tech 30W oils at Walmart however, they are only sold in quarts as Walmart discontinued the 2.5-gallon jugs. There is a diesel variety but I don't mess with it. There is a plainly labeled SAE 30W Non Detergent lubricating oil which I don't buy. And there is the SAE 30 HD which I have been buying for years to run in a 2006 Snapper Rear Engine Rider with a 12.5 HP B&S flathead engine, and I never had any issues with the oil. I sold my Snapper this spring and bought a Toro Super Recycler with a Briggs engine and it runs very well with the Super Tech SAE 30 HD oil as the weather here is quite hot during the mowing season. Like you, I have searched for other brands of SAE 30 HD engine oil but Super Tech is all that I can find. Super Tech complies with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) specifications for SAE 30W HD engine oil. Granted Super Tech is cheaper to buy, but it still must meet the same SAE specifications as Castrol SAE 30W HD or any other manufacturer. American Petroleum Institute lists the classifications of engine oils, https://www.api.org/products-and-se...d-classifications/oil-categories#tab-gasoline
Super Tech specs are in the attached photo. Super Tech and Amazon Basics are made by Highline Warren formerly Warren Distribution which has been manufacturing engine oils since 1922. https://highlinewarren.com/national-brands/ If you click the link, you'll see that Highline Warren is not an obscure manufacturer but distributes for many national brands.

Super Tech Conventional SAE HD-30 Motor Oil 1 Quart - Walmart.com.png

Last edited:

slydog

Threads
I'm looking for Castrol 30W oil and cannot find it anywhere, on-line or locally. I've checked AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot. So I decided to try for other brands, brands I recognize, not this cheap unknown stuff. The only straight 30W I can find is Super Tech but I have seen the independent wear test run on it and is ABSOLUTELY NOT as good as the nationally-recognized name brands.
Price is reasonable - simple search result - copy and paste in your browser <<

Franz47

Forum Newbie
Threads
but it still must meet the same SAE specifications as Castrol SAE 30W HD or any other manufacturer.
API S.. specs, not SAE specs. SAE specs concern only viscosity, regardless of other properties of the lubricant.

nbpt100

Threads
Why do oil related threads generate so much traffic? I like to refer people to Bob is the Oil guy when they come up because there are real oil experts on there and a huge legacy of threads on these small engine oil topics. But Someone beat me to it.

The Walmart Supertec is made by Warren oil. According to the folks on BITOG the folks there say they are a quality manufactuer and a quality product. Not my opinion but the folks there which is good enough for me.

I know people who only change the oil on thier small engines when the color gets very dark.. it could be years. My observation is they are surviving ok. They use auto oil not small engine oil.

My observation on SAE 30 vs SAE 10-w-30 is The latter burns more on warm days. Hence you have to add more and be more vigilant about checking it. Not a problem if you are good at doing that. Many people are not. This observation is also backed up by the B&S manuals I have read. Every engine failure I have seen is due to running on low oil or never changing the oil. Aside from connecting rod bolts loosening (mfg error).

I try to keep it simple. I dont worry about brand of oil in a small engine that I will change on an interval much-much more sooner than that on any car. I am not sure I would use oil made in China. Any recent SAE 30 or 10w-30 made in USA is good enough for me for a small engine. I have not seen any Chinese oil in the stores yet. Just a matter of time I assume.

TobyU

Threads
SAE 10W-30 is all you need. Oh boy, not another oil debate.
Actually, I would prefer to only have HD 30 if I have to go with the theory of one oil is all you need for outdoor power equipment.
We really can't make General blanket assumptions or statements like this because what applies to my area may not apply to someone else's climate but I will say this..

I stopped buying anything but heavy duty 30 over 10 years ago for my mowers I service.
Only on rare occasion but will I get a Kohler command in that really should have 10W30 in it and not over one or two times per year will I get a snow blower that I will need 5W30 for that but for my normal stocking and 99% of what I buy it is SAE 30.

TobyU

Threads
There are two Super Tech 30W oils at Walmart however, they are only sold in quarts as Walmart discontinued the 2.5-gallon jugs. There is a diesel variety but I don't mess with it. There is a plainly labeled SAE 30W Non Detergent lubricating oil which I don't buy. And there is the SAE 30 HD which I have been buying for years to run in a 2006 Snapper Rear Engine Rider with a 12.5 HP B&S flathead engine, and I never had any issues with the oil. I sold my Snapper this spring and bought a Toro Super Recycler with a Briggs engine and it runs very well with the Super Tech SAE 30 HD oil as the weather here is quite hot during the mowing season. Like you, I have searched for other brands of SAE 30 HD engine oil but Super Tech is all that I can find. Super Tech complies with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) specifications for SAE 30W HD engine oil. Granted Super Tech is cheaper to buy, but it still must meet the same SAE specifications as Castrol SAE 30W HD or any other manufacturer. Super Tech specs are in the attached photo.

View attachment 66664
Yes, Walmart does a very poor job in their merchandising and displaying of that non detergent oil they carry.
In fact, if their buyers had any sense they would just remove it from their shelves because nobody is looking to buy a 30 weight non detergent oil.
It should never be put into any outdoor power equipment and hasn't been used in a car since around 1953!.
But the not so bright people who designed the Walmart shelves place it right next to their standard four-cycle lawn mower oil and their little bottles of two-stroke oil.
They obviously think it has something to do with outdoor power equipment when it does not..
The only possible thing at Walmart customer could be using that all four is maybe to oil a fan motor and even then it's too thick for that.

Anyone who needs oil for their air compressor etc shouldn't be buying that in that section anyways as they have their own little bottles of compressor oil over by the air compressors and the air tools.
So this stuff needs to disappear from Walmart stores but they don't listen.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess I will be the guy that pees in the pool.
Can anyone post a pic of an engine that failed because of the quality of an oil? Not run low on oil or overheated or oil not changed in a timely manner. An engine that had bearing or cylinder damage because the oil failed.
Back in the 60's and 70's they sold rerefined oil which was made from used motor oil. Stuff smelled burned and looked nasty but cost half what new oil did. Ran that trash in mowers for years in jr high and high school in a few mowers. Never had a problem with wear and yes I tore some of the engines down. Is there a "bad" oil out there?

nbpt100

Threads
Yes, Walmart does a very poor job in their merchandising and displaying of that non detergent oil they carry.
In fact, if their buyers had any sense they would just remove it from their shelves because nobody is looking to buy a 30 weight non detergent oil.
It should never be put into any outdoor power equipment and hasn't been used in a car since around 1953!.
But the not so bright people who designed the Walmart shelves place it right next to their standard four-cycle lawn mower oil and their little bottles of two-stroke oil.
They obviously think it has something to do with outdoor power equipment when it does not..
The only possible thing at Walmart customer could be using that all four is maybe to oil a fan motor and even then it's too thick for that.

Anyone who needs oil for their air compressor etc shouldn't be buying that in that section anyways as they have their own little bottles of compressor oil over by the air compressors and the air tools.
So this stuff needs to disappear from Walmart stores but they don't listen.
I agree but they should still sell the ND oil. There are enough applications. As you say compressors. Vac pumps which is like a compressor too. I know old engine manuals will call for ND but we have learned the detergent can be better. Electric motor oil is usually SAE 20. You could use 30 on an older motor and get positive results. Your points are well taken but they should still sell it. BTW they do sell a super tech lawn mower oil in a 10w-30 grade. I assume it has more zinc for air cooled applications but I do not think they say that on the label.

Again BITOG very likely covers all of this.

TobyU

Threads
Why do oil related threads generate so much traffic? I like to refer people to Bob is the Oil guy when they come up because there are real oil experts on there and a huge legacy of threads on these small engine oil topics. But Someone beat me to it.

The Walmart Supertec is made by Warren oil. According to the folks on BITOG the folks there say they are a quality manufactuer and a quality product. Not my opinion but the folks there which is good enough for me.

I know people who only change the oil on thier small engines when the color gets very dark.. it could be years. My observation is they are surviving ok. They use auto oil not small engine oil.

My observation on SAE 30 vs SAE 10-w-30 is The latter burns more on warm days. Hence you have to add more and be more vigilant about checking it. Not a problem if you are good at doing that. Many people are not. This observation is also backed up by the B&S manuals I have read. Every engine failure I have seen is due to running on low oil or never changing the oil. Aside from connecting rod bolts loosening (mfg error).

I try to keep it simple. I dont worry about brand of oil in a small engine that I will change on an interval much-much more sooner than that on any car. I am not sure I would use oil made in China. Any recent SAE 30 or 10w-30 made in USA is good enough for me for a small engine. I have not seen any Chinese oil in the stores yet. Just a matter of time I assume.
And Briggs & Stratton tells you exactly this. For decades they have said that the recommended oil for their engines is an SAE 30 or HD 30. They say that a 10w30 may be used as a substitute but increased oil consumption may occur.
I always tell people it's not may occur but will occur.
However, as you stated, all the failures come from not having enough oil. You could probably put Wesson oil in the damn thing and it would still last as long as it's going to last as long as you kept enough oil in it.
People actually waste a lot of oil on lawn mowers simply because it makes them feel better.

The reality is that hardly anyone is ever going to notice a reduction of lifespan in their lawn mower due to lack of oil changes..
All the reduction in lifespan and the fairly instantaneous destruction is from not having enough oil in them and running them low on oil for long periods of time.

These are simply the facts! People don't want to acknowledge them because it makes them feel so much better to get that black oil out of their lawn mower.
Briggs & Stratton a few years ago just took the approach of if you can't beat them join them.
That's what this never needs oil changes just check and top off is all about.
That's what the majority of customers were doing anyways.

I'm in the lawn mower maintenance and repair business but I still think people waste a lot of money on having them over serviced every year and I can prove it by the math.

Soon, that's all going to change though because eventually the what I call junk wimpy battery mowers are going to outnumber the gasoline ones and eventually they will take over and dominate.
After this happens there will be no maintenance other than sharpening or replacing a blade.
But what there will be is very expensive battery replacements on a regular basis and some almost predictable pattern of how many batteries you can replace until you end up replacing the mower with a new one.

However I also predict after that honeymoon period is over and lots of people have buyers remorse or after 9 months or a year or so when their battery capacity is lower than it was for new which was already poor enough...they will want their old mowers back and we'll have to see if the industry will provide this for them or if this will create a huge demand for good used mowers.

I feel they will come out with some clever marketing with a slight redesign on the engine and call it something like generation 2 or whatever on the engines to get people, and the agencies etc over the fact that they're internal combustion engines somehow claiming their cleaner or whatever else which I don't think most of us care about it all anyways but they'll be giving us a nice powerful longer lasting gasoline engine.

Then, people will be able to go back to mowing their whole lawns as one event and blasting through tall overgrown grass with or without a discharge shoot on the side etc and use them as brush hogs as they done since their inception.

TobyU

Threads
I guess I will be the guy that pees in the pool.
Can anyone post a pic of an engine that failed because of the quality of an oil? Not run low on oil or overheated or oil not changed in a timely manner. An engine that had bearing or cylinder damage because the oil failed.
Back in the 60's and 70's they sold rerefined oil which was made from used motor oil. Stuff smelled burned and looked nasty but cost half what new oil did. Ran that trash in mowers for years in jr high and high school in a few mowers. Never had a problem with wear and yes I tore some of the engines down. Is there a "bad" oil out there?
No they can't because it simply doesn't happen.
You're not the one who pees in the pool , you are like me, a voice of reason or explain to people why they're focusing on completely the wrong things and some of their opinions and beliefs are incorrect.
People don't like this much but too bad....we're right.

I think just for fun I'll take some little small push mower engine and running on straight Wesson oil.
You are right though, you could darn near putt any commercially available fairly common oil in existence into a lawn mower and it's not going to make a squatter difference as long as you keep the level up.

The closest thing you would have to a problem might be with some of these very new thinner oils but you could put 0w-20, any multigrade five, 10, 30, 40 viscosity, straight 60 which I think some people put in motorcycles, 5w-40, 5w50, 15w40, 15w50 and the list goes on and in fact, some of these would even offer better lubrication and provide a little less scuffing and wear etc but all of this would be hardly noticeable upon inspection.
So back to my point that it doesn't make a squat of difference.

Now if you mean any engine it's a totally different ball game. But I think we're talking about lawn mowers here.

I can certainly show you Detroit Diesel 2 strokes, the 8v71 and the 6v92 ETC that are the big Diesel Pusher bus engines that have had seizing and have excessive cylinder liner and piston skirt wear due to running 15W40 diesel oil and not the proper straight 40 CF2 rated oil.
Of course you'll have people that will deny this because they personally have run these engines on 15W40 for years and never had a problem.
They also did not have another one sitting beside of it that was run on the proper oil with the same number of miles operated in the same conditions where they were able to tear them down and look at the scuffing differences on each.
Those engines were unbelievable and long lived workhorses even when neglected and abused.
Even though they were putting extra wear and tear and damage on the engines they never knew it because they never got to the level of failure.
However, that level would have been much further away had they have used the proper oil.